Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows XP Home Edition - User Management Problem View next topic
View previous topic
KickinWing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay... I have an install of Windows XP Home Edition. The computer was initially set up with one account, in my sister's name... for her protection I will call her "Carol". I renamed her admin level account to my name "Kickin". I disabled fast user switching and the pretty logon for the simpler, faster, Win2k/NT style logon. For some reason that logon shows her name instead of my name, when I am about to logon. I would like it to show up with my name by default. How do I change this? I suppose it is a value in the registry. Any links to articles explaining how to correct this would be helpful.

Thanks.
KickinWing
mf_2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

so now you have two account, an admin account kickin and a user account carol,right? or did you just rename the carol account into kickin?
well, if you have two still, I think it shows the name of the person who was logged on last, although this is just a guess. so if you logon with the name kickin and reboot, it should show kickin in the user name window at the next logon by default.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is only one account on the system. It was created when I installed Windows XP on the machine. I created it as Carol Smith.

Months later (which is now) I want to rename the account. User accounts in Control panel will let me do that. However, if I disable fast user switching or even if I pull up the Task Manager and click the users tab it shows Carol Smith, when it should show Kickin. Kickin is what I renamed her account.

User Accounts in CP will not let me delete the account because it is the primary administrator account. (Not to be confused with the actual Admnistrator account in which can only be accessed in safe-mode.)

I suppose I could create a new account and login that way. But the main thing is I want to get rid of my sister's name of the PC. I don't plan on keeping it forever. And I never personalize who the system is registered to. I always put Valued Microsoft Customer or something like that only because I don't want any names floating around.
JohnL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you tried searching the registry for her name?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks. It worked. Surprised
 Jump to: