Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backpack CD-ROM on XT View next topic
View previous topic
Pimped_Portable

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, so I got this old Backpack drive I used to use with this junker Gateway 486 laptop that I threw away. It works, I know so because I used it to install OS/2 warp on my other laptop a few days ago. Anyway, I try to load the DOS driver onto my PC/XT and it locks the machine up solid, I actually have to turn it off. I tried running it by itself, it still freezes. I can only think of two problems at this point:

1. My parallel port does not meet the requirements for the drive (quite possible)
2. The driver has 80286+ specific code in it (stupid but possible)

What do you guys think is wrong? Anyone here have experience with using any of Micro-Solutions' periperals on 808x machines?
Ryan no log

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There was once an emulator that let an 8088 simulate 286 real mode code similar to the 386sx real mode emulator for the 286

Best bet Make sure you have a bidirectional parallel port (the usb of yesteryear) Many older machines could really only send data.

It may want a specific IRQ for the port 5/7 and yours may be set for something else

If it is code specific try a v20 if you have one and see if that fixes the problem

Sorry I can't be of much help

Good Luck
 Jump to: