Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antivirus Program vs. Antivirus software View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: Antivirus Program or Antivirus software?

Antivirus Program
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Antivirus Software
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
I don't scan for viruses, ever.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The network admins at my school say I have to have active Antivirus software on my computer to get on their network. For the last several years, I've used an antivirus program which includes not opening unknown executables, looking for errant processes, not using IE, and occasional (2 weeks to 2 months) scans with Housecall.

So my question is: Do you use an antivirus program like I do, or do you rely on antivirus software such as Norton Antivirus to detect viruses for you?

How effective (rough estimate of viruses detected/yr) are they? Hardly scientific I know, but I'm just curious.

I've only been noticeably infected with one, and that was because I forgot to put the firewall up before connecting to the school LAN. I've detected others, but normally catch them before they get to me.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
ß

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Common Sense(tm) is the best package available. Smile
Not only does antivirus software give a false sense of security, but it also fails to protect against the much larger threat of being compromised in much less obvious ways than by a "virus".

I use FreeBSD, so proprietary software is quite uncommon anyway. Smile
Jk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yup, common sense is indeed the best package Smile

I have Norton Antivirus 2001 installed. I run a virus scan maybe once every two months or something.

I hate real-time virus scanning programs. All the ones I've used have slowed down the computer. Not much, but enough to be noticeable.

but I've only had one virus ever. And that was back when my main system was a 486 w/ DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had Norton Anti-Virus detect several viruses while running FireFox and Mozilla, so while not using IE will help it's still a good idea to have some sort of anti-virus software unless you plan to disconnect your machine from the internet, and not insert any foreign media.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree. That's what I have: Some sort of antivirus software. I'm not saying antivirus software is a bad thing, but going to an active memory-resident piece of software when what I have is suffient is overkill.

The rationale of the school goes something like this: I just got the oil changed in my car. It's full of oil. I should put an extra quart in to be sure I've got enough.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
harshbarj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do both. I have av software but I'm smart about my online use so I get less than a virus a month. Spyware is another story Evil or Very Mad .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Belt and suspenders, my friends...

I run Norton, plus I take all of the usual measures (including reviewing my incoming mail via web access before I ever download it).

Having gone through the agony of a large-scale Blaster infestation, I can understand any large institution insisting that any computer on their network be fully patched and have and up-to-date antivirus.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome back, JohnL. I hope others find their way here...

Both my web-based email services scan for and reject viruses. I got an email from someone on either the old UCL or Obsolete Computer Helpline that was infected once. I sent him an email about it and he got it fixed.

I don't think the webmaster@ucl account is protected from viruses, but we all know better than to run unknown executables!
 Jump to: