Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm now the proud owner of a 486!! Hooray! View next topic
View previous topic
Ki Mendrossen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dell 466 Desktop Formfactor PC
486DX/66Mhz
24MB RAM
1.7GB Hard Drive
3.5" Floppy
56x CD-ROM
SB-16 Soundcard
10BaseT NIC

MS-DOS 6.22

Cost: $25.00

What could I do with it if I choose not to sell it on ebay for $265? Twisted Evil
mf_2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

a 56x CD drive in a 486 machine? Wow!
I have ( or better: used to have ) about a dozen of that kind of machines, even more motherboards and cpus of that kind. What's so special about them?
Ki Mendrossen_NO loggy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yes.. its a 56x, says so right on the front. Works like a charm.
What I say wow on is the hard drive. the 1.7GB is actually more than the bios can handle (528MB limit) but with the Maxblast EZ-BIOS overlay it allows the computer to see all 1.7GB
harshbarj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

watch that cd drive. the 56x drive spins cd's so fast it can cause them to explode (no joke. I'v seen it before). So if a cd has a small crack don't use it in that drive Twisted Evil . 52x drives are much safer as they almost never spin the disc fast enough to cause problems.

mf_2:

lately 486 systems seem to be fetching a small fortune on ebay (nearly $300 in some cases for the tower alone). Perhaps it's time to sell my custom 486/133 I built from spare parts (afa 100% free).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

harshbarj wrote:
watch that cd drive. the 56x drive spins cd's so fast it can cause them to explode (no joke. I'v seen it before). So if a cd has a small crack don't use it in that drive Twisted Evil . 52x drives are much safer as they almost never spin the disc fast enough to cause problems.

I would have said the same exact thing about the 52x drives. My original GTA2 cd exploded in one, two weeks later my age of empires 2 the conquerors cd exploded in a 52x cd burner and a friend's aoe2:tc cd exploded in his drive. all cds were originals btw....
wdegroot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a ibm 486 dos machine wrapped up and stired nearby so if my wife is asked to do work for a certain lawyer, she can easily do it.

my last 486 was a 133 and at least 60 megs of ram, dos.wfwg or the chipset would not see more so why bother.
I had 4- 635meg drives plus a 4x cd on the soundcard.
it had pci slots and a 56k modem.
Ki Mendrossen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

harshbarj wrote:

mf_2:

lately 486 systems seem to be fetching a small fortune on ebay (nearly $300 in some cases for the tower alone). Perhaps it's time to sell my custom 486/133 I built from spare parts (afa 100% free).

I sold it. I posted it on ebay and some guy did a buy it now for $199.95. All I'm waiting for now is a money order to arrive within the next 3-4 days.
jforb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wow....

I dug a couple of my 486 boxes out of the basement...maybe I'll do somethign like that...

selectric.org
ryan no log

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Blast people with those 486 pentiums are surfacing again (just to inflate a normal pentium computers value to 486 levels)
ryan no log

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Looking at the recent listing I wonder if my old 486DX4-100 with a 21" proprietary paper white Cornerstone monitor, windows NT and other goodies would sell with autocad 14 and the other crapola still onboard?
 Jump to: