Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to make useless IBM INfowindow 3477 into mono display View next topic
View previous topic
ryan no log

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am curious if anyone has ever modded an old terminal to simply be a monochrome display, I am having a bit of difficulty tearing this thing apart and am wondering if anyone has done this. MOno screens can be set to any freq and sync with a few very simple mods (i've made several VGA amber monos into 1024x768 svga screens) Anyway I am having great difficulty finding a local source of TTL monitors, the last place I could get them went bust but I can still get piles of terminals if I want.

Anyone go and do this? I think I could solder right off the logic board and break out a 9pin cable from the main where the terminal board interfaces the monitor, I assume the screens signals are internally the same as any other mono screen though I probably wouldn't get any grey scale just simple B/W which Is OK.

I have been trying to find any type of simple schematic for this unit and so far have come up nil.

Any ideas? I can't really find old 5151s anymore (or any vintage IBM monitors period) and really don't want to invest more $$ in my hobby, I have all the stuff to do a mod, plus I really like the amber look better than green.

I only have one off brand TTL screen that is working (and severly screen burnt) and usable with my IBMs left plus two Analog Magnovox 80's that need a special keyboard like breakout cable (I use them with a proprietary photo unit for the business so they are not always available anyway)

Thanx for any info
Ryan
 Jump to: