Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best 8bit 50pin SCSI card, Yes I REALLY need one View next topic
View previous topic
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Having had two of my old MFMs die and the fact that I have a box of 30 IBM WDS3160 hard drives laying around I really need to find some old SCSI cards for my PCs and XTs

I really could care less if the cards are bootable but they need to have dos drivers that could see a 160mb hard drive.

So I am curious what models of scsi card I should keep an eye out for on ebay, I really don't want to spend $30+ on this.

If you have any suggestions it would be appreciated.

I also am on the lookout for 15khz RGB+Composite sync screens the only ones I can find that work with ntsc and CVBS sync seem to be blasted sony's which all sell for much much more than a 20 year old broadcast TV monitor should. I would like to replace my old magnavox 1cm1352... But even $250 bait isn't enough to find one Sad

Thank You For Any Help
Ryan
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Having struggled with this for several years, I think I can give you a fair bit of information on the matter.

The best 8-bit SCSI card you can get is a Future Domain TMC850M. It has an optional boot ROM, and an ASPI driver that lets you hook up all sorts of external peripherals. If you want a bootable drive, BIOS v8.2 is highly recommended.

My second choice would porbably be an NEC/Trantor T128 or T130B. It's not quite as fast as the TMC850, but it does have ASPI drivers also. The only downside I noticed is that it doesn't like harddrives larger than about 200MB.

I think the NCR SCSI cards might work okay, but I've never tried one before.

There is an 8-bit card made by Rancho Technologies that is supposed to be pretty good, but I hear the drivers for it require a 286 or better.

As a last resort go with the Seagate ST01. They're pretty picky, and only certain BIOS revisions work with non-seagate drives. While it is based on the same chip as Future Domain, it was purposely crippled and there is no ASPI driver available for it. Don't get ST02, because the onboard floppy controller can't be disabled...at least not by conventional means.
wdegroot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i have a box of assorted scsi and just about evey kind of older xt stuff and scsi external cables and some internal cables./
wdegroot#ptd.net replace #
 Jump to: