Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks like my eBay days are finally numbered... View next topic
View previous topic
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Because of the poor selection, high prices and security risks I have terminated both my eBay and PayPal accounts. I don't exactly know what this means for my PC collecting hobby, but it's certainly not going to be easy to get new things. Oh well, I already have a mountain of sh*t to play with, and I still have a fair bit of cataloging to do.

Then again, there's still Taobao Very Happy
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why did you get rid of payal? I use paypal for kinds of non ebay finds.

There are more places then ebay to find stuff anyway.
386er

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

there plenty of places to get vintage parts, good will, garage sales, recycling plants, used computer dealers to name a few, not to mention dumpsters and flea markets! as for me, i work at a computer repair shop so i always find good stuff, last week i brought home 3 new ISA sound blaster 64s
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I actually haven't been able to delete my taobao account yet because of a stuck transaction, so I just did myself the favour of disconnect my back account. This makes me an "unverfied member". I forget exactly why I needed to become verified in the first place, but I think it limits your monthly transactions. Anyway, I will consider keeping it in this condition since credit card fraud is usually reversible, bank account theft however is a serious problem. I had the account setup like that since 2002. It was probably not a very smart thing to do, and I am lucky I didn't get screwed. In times like these you always know there is some sneaky SOB out there on the internets looking for some easy money.

Anyway, I have just about everything I could want outside of a couple of really rare items. Cancelling the ebay account was definetly worth it as it's mostly just power sellers on there these days. I can get the same crap on amazon.

As far as finding old stuff goes it really depends on where you live. The midwest doesn't have much to offer. Around 1997 or so there were a few used computer stores around, but they've long gone out of business. Also I don't really consider Sound Blaster 64s to be terribly vintage (they came out in 1997). Sure, they're ISA but they're also PNP.
386er

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

these are new and will be worth something in 2017! midwest huh? rural areas are mainly older computers if any...
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If any is right. Mostly low spec stuff too.
dw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anonymous Coward wrote:
Because of the poor selection, high prices and security risks I have terminated both my eBay and PayPal accounts. I don't exactly know what this means for my PC collecting hobby, but it's certainly not going to be easy to get new things. Oh well, I already have a mountain of sh*t to play with, and I still have a fair bit of cataloging to do.

Then again, there's still Taobao Very Happy

I hear you. I just recently sold my commodore 64 computer collection, nice stuff, had nearly a thousand hits, had nice pictures, but it didn't sell for any more than $61 USD. I was disappointed. I shutdown my eBay and Paypal accounts for the exact same reasons.
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What was included with the C64? Around here the C64 is usualy found on freecycle. Generally the rare drives (1581) and classic boxed games sell for a few dollars, the c64 itself does not.

I still think ebay is a very good place to find stuff, and probably to sell uncommon rarities. There are other places to find items, but paypal is universal for payment.
dw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Unknown_K wrote:
What was included with the C64? Around here the C64 is usualy found on freecycle. Generally the rare drives (1581) and classic boxed games sell for a few dollars, the c64 itself does not.

I still think ebay is a very good place to find stuff, and probably to sell uncommon rarities. There are other places to find items, but paypal is universal for payment.

A complete C64 in box, 1701 monitor, 1541 drive (in box), 1351 mouse (in box with manual and software), Epyx fast load cartridge w/ original box and manual. Datasette, joystick. Original software: GEOS 2.0. And games from C64.com copied on to floppy disk.

The buyer was overall pleased but said that there was something wrong with a chip that controls the floppy drive on the c64 motherboard, something I wasn't aware of. The system worked fine for me in every way.

Surprisingly, I have seen C64 systems on eBay without all the extras fetch anywhere from $30-$60 just for a unit, power supply, and video cable. Thats why I was disappointed I got what I did for mine. But at least I got rid of some clutter.
creepingnet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm done dealing with E-bay and Paypal myself as well. Paypal has...well....fricked me TWICE this year (screwed over one of my customers, and then stole $95.00 from me), and E-bay has had nothing to offer for any fair prices. So I've resorted to the local thrifts and the recycle bin of the local budget mom and pop computer shop (they're perfectly happy with me running off with all their old Mac SEs, EGA monitors, 486s, and other stuff).

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Trixter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All of you must not be in the midwest. As previously stated, the midwest SUCKS in terms of trying to find anything vintage. I went by the goodwill the other week and was absolutely elated to find a Zip drive (100, parallel port model) complete in box for a few bucks, which is sad. Elated because it had the drivers (I am having trouble getting it working on 8088) and sad because that is the best we can do here (I'm in Illinois).
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I feel your pain...

But if there are any computer renaissance stores left in business near you hang around them and you can get a lot of vintage stuff, sadly most are gone (they used to be a fairly sizable nationwide chain) and the ones that are left require you to chum with the owner to get the old crapola.

Trixter wrote:
All of you must not be in the midwest. As previously stated, the midwest SUCKS in terms of trying to find anything vintage. I went by the goodwill the other week and was absolutely elated to find a Zip drive (100, parallel port model) complete in box for a few bucks, which is sad. Elated because it had the drivers (I am having trouble getting it working on 8088) and sad because that is the best we can do here (I'm in Illinois).
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ryan wrote:
I feel your pain...

But if there are any computer renaissance stores left in business near you hang around them and you can get a lot of vintage stuff, sadly most are gone (they used to be a fairly sizable nationwide chain) and the ones that are left require you to chum with the owner to get the old crapola.

All of the Computer Renaissance stores were gone as of about 2002...
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You need to hook up with the local recycler or be friends with the local pc guys who fix and sell machines out of their house. The older stuff they can't sell for internet use mostly gets junked. Snagged a IIgs with transwarp for $10 from one guy who had a mess of stuff dropped off from a womam who purchased a used machine from him. People use part time computer resellers as dumping ground for all kinds of old stuff. Think I got 4 of my 5 compact Macs for free from the same guy.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Agreed, the Midwest blows ass for just about anything related to technology. I lived in Missouri (aka misery) for about 8 years, and was pretty hard pressed to find much of anything.
 Jump to: