Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too much OS or too little pc? View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: Do folks realize windows really needs more ram.??

yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
do not care to know
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

wdegroot

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it is sort of neat, when folks report trickng a newer version of an OS to work on an older PC.
Note I waid WORK not use. I waited a half hour and WORD 2.0 would not come up on an old 286.

Things have not really changed over the years.
Today except for HIGH END, XP PRO has beenithe OS of choice.
I sometimes get PC's from a recycling center.
Recently I was given two systems that lived their enture life at a business with 128m of ram and two open ram slots.

Yesterday, I hooked up a PIII -450 with 128m of ram. and XP PRO. I am 74 and almost could not wait to get to some changes I needed to try it.
( black mouse cursor , lower screen res )
I had to wait and wait and wait.

I cannot believe someone sat there and actually used this pc.

Now if we do it as a HOBBY or experiment THAT I can see. But are businesses or individuals so stupid that they spend half their pc-time waiting for something to happen?
It is true that I do not always have a really fast cpu or enough ram. But I also use an older OS most of the time and don't need the latest and greatest.

Your thoughts, is it ignorance, cheapness or something else?
386er

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

sounds like that pc was probly running windows 98 originally. win98 runs fairly good on 128mb, i use a 300mhz pentium 2 laptop with 6gb hd and 128mb of ram as my main laptop. runs fairly good, dont have to realy wait for it, then again its just used for web/music. people dont realy think about ram upgrades, they either buy a new pc or when they think of memory, they think of hard drives
z2024

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Some people actually assume the older versions of Windows are "slower", and 386er is right that some don't know the difference between RAM and a hard drive. The last time I upgraded the RAM in anything was with a VIC-20; I can usually do without the newer versions of Windows. The PC I'm using at the moment only has 64MB RAM, but it runs Windows 95 great.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wdegroot wrote:
I cannot believe someone sat there and actually used this pc.

Now if we do it as a HOBBY or experiment THAT I can see. But are businesses or individuals so stupid that they spend half their pc-time waiting for something to happen?

Your thoughts, is it ignorance, cheapness or something else?

Yes, the place I worked at did, but honestly the software we ran under a PIII 733 w/ xp & 128mb ran fine once loaded, our troubles were waiting glacial amounts of time to do anything because the network sucked. Many times the network caused simple things like typing a line of text to take 20 seconds, off line they ran fan but most of them were setup to dissallow that.
 Jump to: