Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTB: 333 mHz+ matched PII CPUs -Closed- View next topic
View previous topic
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My slightly slower PII-300s have a bug in them that prevents Windows Server 2003 from running with two processors. The 333 mHz ones don't (hopefully it's the CPU only and not MB related).

I need something at least 333 mHz, and preferably closer to 333mHz. The motherboard (in a HP Kayak XU 6/300) does not support any CPUs faster than 300 mHz, so I'm underclocking the CPU.

They're going for about $10 snipped on e-snipe, so I don't want to pay more than that. Free is of course great, but if you're interested in some low-spec PC parts just ask. I have a few HDs in the 1-2 gig range, a bunch of floppy drives coming in the mail, a spare CD-ROM drive, Macintosh Performa 637CD, and a few other things. (I'll even trade the PII-300s if the others will work.)

Last edited by Puckdropper on Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It should support any base 66mhz CPU, I have a celeron slotkey that has a dual cpu enable jumper, if you find another dual cpu enable slotket you chould be able to go to 533mhz with a base 66 celeron set.

The thing to remember is the main issue on old PII/PIIIs is the bus speed of the cpu, not the speed of the cpu, also on higher clockings there are package issues.

You will not be able to underclock a pII 333 to 300mhz as the cpu is locked at 333

and I do have a set of PII 350's but how do I determine if they are matched?

Good Luck
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I could be mistaken, but I do not believe that the Celeron CPUs are SMP capable. However, I think you can purchase a special adapter from powerleap to unlock them.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Guest, what are you asking for them? If they don't work, I'll just put them in a couple slightly slower PII machines.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
JohnL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You could always use PII/PIII 450's or 500's; on a 66 MHz bus, they'd run at 300 and 333, respectively, and they wouldn't have the bug that's causing your problem.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd love to... but I there's on PII in the house over 300 mHz... in the family computer.

That's why I'm looking for something a little faster. 333 is the minimum speed.

>score
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I bought a set... 400mHz...

I found out I need a new VRM for the motherboard to install and use them, so I'm keeping my eye out for another dual processor motherboard... Perhaps a little faster.

>score
JohnL

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just bought several PII-333's for a project - there are a few matched pairs. Interested? I'd gladly trade 'em even up for a pair of 400's.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

At the moment, I have a couple PIIs without a motherboard. I fixed the problem I had previously by getting a new MB (processors included) so I've got the set I bought.

If you're interested in trading something else for them, I'd be happy to dig them up. (We're in the middle of a move right now so there is an off-chance that it may take weeks to find them again... If I don't do something soon.)

Here's my wish list of things I think would be approximately fair trade:
PC-100 DIMMs 64MB or higher
Apple Newton and/or accessories
OS/2 Warp 4
System Fans

>score
bear

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anonymous wrote:

You will not be able to underclock a pII 333 to 300mhz as the cpu is locked at 333

Good Luck

Isn't it the multipler that is locked ? 5 x 66 Mhz = 333 so if you use
a 60 Mhz bus it will run @ 300.
mf_2

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

a little off topic:
I have a pentium II 266 on a mainboard. I don't knwo who built the mainboard, as I think its custom. when I stuck the pII on another board of teh same kind ( had just a different chipset and was dual instead of single processor ), it was recognized as a pII 233. So, I guess it CAN be underclokced, even thogh I don't want to do it. I just can;t find the jumper for the multiplier. It even says the jumper setting son the mainboard itslef, but I can't find the jumper... Confused
bear

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Could it be in BIOS instead ? some later versions of boards that had jumpers but went for bios settings instead but used same board as before Image

Also some of the later pII 266es were just stepped down 400s and are easy to overclock, put the cpu model in google SL3 or the like and compare with others in intels list of PIIs and you might get lucky Smile
 Jump to: