Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I remember this subject came up... View next topic
View previous topic
T-R-A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

long ago:

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Haven't tried it myself, but sounds plausible.
harshbarj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow! Now I need to dig out some of my old 'yellow' systems and give that a try. My old Zenith supersport 386 is starting to turn from a deep yellow to an almost brown color. I see a lot of hydrogen peroxide being used and soon. Thanks for posting.

When I do this I will post pics. Now to find a uv light

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A good sources of UV:
- Sun - in sunny day - it should take a few weeks...
- An old quartz sun lamp - use older ones, mine is from 1970s, and I use this to erase EPROMs.
- A halogen bulb - you will have to remove something to make it light a bit UV.
- A germicidal lamp.
- An old light bulb from street lamp with removed outer bulb, safety filament improvised with a resistor and a coil to supply the stable power (I've never used it).

Remember that UV is dangerous to eyes and skin!

I have bad experiences with chemical techniques. In Poland in 2002-2005 there was popular cleaning liquid, sometimes called "AGH Petrol". It was prepared in University of Science and Technology (AGH) from extraction naphtha and a few other ingredients. Applied to a plastic with a soft cloth it was working just wonderfully - all yellow or brown places just turned white without any destruction to the texture.
But, after about 5 years after cleaning the plastic becomes fragile, hard and finally it delaminates to small pieces and peels off. I've seen many old computer stuff destroyed this way.
shock__

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MCbx wrote:
I have bad experiences with chemical techniques. In Poland in 2002-2005 there was popular cleaning liquid, sometimes called "AGH Petrol".
Well ... Petrol sounds like some organic agent (alcohol) which keeps reacting for quite a long time.
Having just talked to a few peeps I know who are good with chemistry hydrogen peroxyde is highly unstable (which is why caution is required when handling it) and usually leaves back barely any traces, so there will be no further reaction after the cleaning procedure.
 Jump to: