Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Socket 5 to socket 3 Pentium Upgrade adapter View next topic
View previous topic
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I vaguely remember this in an old Computer Shopper magazine I used to buy right next to the Socket 4 to Socket 5 adapter.

It basically said you could upgrade your 486 to a pentium 75mhz or 100mhz chip for less than a POD83 using a Socket 3 to Socket 5 adapter.

It was right next to the Upgrade your pentium 60/66 to socket 5 Pentium chips 90/100/120mhz.

It was a socket adapter with a voltage regulator.

Does anyone remember these?

I am curious what brands there were because this could potentially allow for a very unusual 486 k62-300mhz system with a pair of socket adapters Smile

I also could test and see if a real pentium had fewer bugs than the POD.

Cheers
Ryan
T-R-A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I tinkered with POD's for a while and vaguely remember either Evergreen (Evertech?) or somebody else having something like that. I did get an Evergreen upgrade (K5-133) working in an PS/2 Valuepoint (think it needs a battery) but didn't notice a large degree of improvement over the 486DX-66 that was originally in it...
harshbarj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a socket 5 to socket 7 adapter, but that is all I have ever seen. Honestly I don't think a socket 3 to 5 adapter would work. There were too many changes architecturally IMHO.

Now the overdrive chips did offer a boost over the standard 486, unlike what T-R-A experienced. I had a Compaq portable 486c that had a 486-66 and I installed a pny (evergreen) 133 chip. The original system could not play mp3 files without major problems, but the same system with the upgrade chip could play any mp3 I gave it and even allowed me light usage of the computer during playback.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, not all my tinkering was in vain. The POD83 in an AST machine was noticeably faster than its' original 486DX-66. It ran Win95(A) for many years until it succumbed to a power supply problem. Rescued the HDD and transfered it to a Compaq Deskpro 2000 (P133) with everything intact (obviously had to tinker with drivers and such).
harshbarj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

T-R-A wrote:
Well, not all my tinkering was in vain. The POD83 in an AST machine was noticeably faster than its' original 486DX-66. It ran Win95(A) for many years until it succumbed to a power supply problem. Rescued the HDD and transfered it to a Compaq Deskpro 2000 (P133) with everything intact (obviously had to tinker with drivers and such).

Would that had been a AST Advantage Adventure 6066d? That's one of the ast systems I have and run with a POD chip.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Would that had been a AST Advantage Adventure 6066d? That's one of the ast systems I have and run with a POD chip.

Yep, I believe it was. For a long time it was the 2nd fastest machine I had behind an IBM PC350 (which had been upgraded from 100MHz to 166MHz and 144MB of RAM). Many years on dial-up for both machines, and they didn't fail me (until the AST took the formerly-mentioned P/S dirt nap). The PC350 still worked last time I checked (2 years ago). Shocked
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the p24t was almost identical to the original P60 internally, in fact there were complaints that its same math bugs as the P60.

I do definately know of a Socket 4 to socket 7 adapter my friend had one in his old first gen IBM P60.

Socket 3->5 seems existed for a short time, I remember a socket adapter for that purpose around late 1994/early 95, perhaps it was deceptive advertising of some sort.

My guess is it was probably expensive and buggy, no way of knowing unless I find a brand/type.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've personally seen the Socket 4 --->Socket 7 adapters. They are very rare though. You could actually upgrade a P60 to a K6-2 400MHz as it supported low voltages and split rail MMX chips.

I have never seen or heard of a socket3 -->Socket 5 adapter before, but it was always my dream to have such a thing. I could believe that something that that would be possible, it just wasn't worth it for companies to manufacture. If you could find mention of this in a magazine I'd love to see it. Something like that belongs in a museum.
wdegroot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

after the original rush to be faster
some companies sold Upgrade adapters for just about any 496 586
and slockets for slot 1 cpus.
the problem thay were trying to overcome was 1- the old mb did not support the lower voltage of the faster chip
2- the new chip ,. often a mmx a amd 233 or a k5-1
requred a split voltage/.
mpoy that a p1 180 sold for much more than a p1-180 mmx
because the MMX chip required a split voltage bus that the older mb could not provide
an exception was the winchip a lower power cpu that would run on a MB designes for p1- 66-180 non mm\z mb.
the popular o\nes were the 180 and the 233.
it shortly became apparent that a new mb ( used or even new)
cost less than the upgrade CHIP/Adapter

On the 496 side cirix made a dx`2-80 that woulkd directly replace the intel dx2-66 m jusat rejumper the bus from 33 to 40.
the dx4-=actuaslly it was a dx3 often required more sumpers and even a bios upgrade
about this time AMD made a 120 chip 33 x4 and a 133 chip.
many boards that were intel dx4-100 capable would see the amd 120 or 133 as a 120, some could even run at 133.
the popular pc-chips mb were flakey and died after a few years

again on the pentium 233 side
the amd was not a safe replacement for other INtel mmx chips as it was a powere hog and could burn out the mb.
the later super socket 7 mb using the amd k6-2 and k6-3 chips
were the peak or that technology
Most mb that accepted at least a intel p233mmx
would work with the amd k6-2 but it required a lower violtage setting
the third party UPGRADE chips were an oppotunistic scam
from 3 or 4 companies.
remeber this was wfwg ( 4.11 days) and chipsets did not support a lot of memory or large drives
My pc chips m520m accepted 128 m of ram and was not a split voltage mb. it barely took a ten gb drive ( only on auto detect)
I think wfwg running over dod 6.22 would only see 64 m of ram.

hey you can have if for postage!
 Jump to: