Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

old really old parts View next topic
View previous topic
wdegroot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

it seems I have been either a pack-rat or a hoarder
we sent newer mb to a man who uses them for upgraded for needy folks
as the level of trash improved he and I agreed to phase ouit p3 and then p3.
that are not old enough to be collectable
but the even older p1 496 and pc xt at and isa boards may be old enough to be collecable.
I have talked to my son. he thinks cutting off the gol;d fingers and selling a spackle pail wull would be worthwhile
nut I feel there si more value in selling pre-1990 parts
what do you think.
It may be we will toss everything.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think selling some of the parts can be worth your time, as long are they are not run of the mill junk. Even some 486 and Pentium equipment can have value, but you do have to know what people are looking for.You should also be prepared to ship to overseas buyers. They are willing to pay big bucks if you have something they want. Dealing in vintage hardware dramatically reduces the odds of being screwed (scammers don't go after this stuff). I typically don't bother selling something unless I can get at least $100 for it. Here are some of the things I have sold:

$100 -40MHz 386DX 386 motherboard, FPU, 20Mb, VGAWonder, SB16
$100 -Asus 486 PCI Motherboard PVI 486SP3, 64MB, DX4-100
$100 -Asus VL/I 486SV2GX4 VLB 486 Motherboard, 64MB, Mach32
$130 -Asus Pentium Pro Motherboard P/I P65UP5, C-P6ND +256MB
$100 -*LOT of 4* PCI Video Cards Voodoo1 Voodoo3 ET6100 TNT2
$100 -Fast 20MHz 286 80286 AT Motherboard M209 4MB SIPP RAM
$100 -CT2760 Sound Blaster AWE32 Wave Blaster II, 28MB LOADED
$65 -Amiga 2000/3000/4000 - A2088 PC-XT Bridgeboard +Floppy
$150 -386 Gaming PC ~CDROM ~ 33MHz 386 CPU, 16MB, Model M
$200 -Amiga 2000HD A2000HD 9MB RAM CD-ROM NICE!
$120 -Quantum 3D Inc 3Dfx 3D FX Obsidian2 SLI2 Graphics Card

I think scrapping gold is a great idea too. Just make sure you pick out the things of value first.
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Most 486 and early pentiums have some gold value to them, the Pentium pro CPU has the most. Gold pins and edge connectors from cards have very little (unless you are talking about pre 1970's military hardware).

I am allways looking out for interesting cards, but most people have no idea what they have and don't take pictures so it is hard to find them.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Last I checked, an intel 486 went for about $5, and a Pentium Pro went for $12. AMD/Cyrix chips usually have a lot less gold on them.
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28911037/Gold-Content-List-in-CPU-Chips

Pentium Pros sell for quite a bit to gold recyclers with gold being $1500 an ounce these days.
NViousGK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm new here, so please pardon my reviving this thread.... I have seen a lot of parts selling on E-Bay, but unless there is something inherently special about the partucular part, prices just don't go anywhere. I've even seen entire computers like my IBM 5150 PC selling for as little as $50.00 complete with a monitor and keyboard. But then there is always someone who finds something old in Grandpas old stuff and just because it has a plug, a few buttons and a screen, they think they hit the lottery. They just don't know what they have. So they either price things way too high and end up disapointed, or they sell it for far too low, just because they didn't do any research.

Vintage hardware will eventually sell, but nowhere near the price it was when new. I would expect to either pay, or sell something for pennies on the dollar for most of the items out there. I recently bought several new old stock floppy disk drives for only $10.00 each. These were drives that originally sold for over $500.00 each when they were first introduced.

I also think you will find more honest buyers and sellers of vintage equipment than when buying/selling anything new. That's just my own observation.

Jump to: