Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Read QTR-1 ("travan") tape with modern hardware View next topic
View previous topic
mf_2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

I have a 400MB/800MB "Travan" tape (QTR-1) from Sony flying around here.
It was originally used as a backup tape in conjunction with a Conner tape drive (it plugged into the floppy cable as a 3rd device I believe).

However I do not have any vintage hardware anymore.
I see IDE Travan drives on eBay frequently, but they are all listed as handling tapes with 20/40GB -> such as the Seagate Quantum STT3401A. Does anybody know if these drives can also handle my 400/800MB tape?

Also, can these IDE ATAPI drives be used with a USB-to-IDE adapter?
I remember the "3rd floppy" thing was a pain in the rear to get to work (I recall Win98 had a builtin tape backup program that finally recognized the drive) so I am thinking I probably shouldn't even bother with the USB adapter.

Regards
mf_2
Skyfrog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure about Travan but I know LTO drives can only read back two tape generations. I searched a bit and found this page that seems to indicate that at least some Travan drives can read tapes one generation back, so I really doubt TR-7 (20GB) drives would be able to read TR-1 media. If you want to recover the data from the tape I'm guessing you'll need to find an old TR-1 or TR-2 drive somewhere.

https://assemblergames.com/threads/reading-travan-8gb-data-tapes.66234/
mf_2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for the reply. These drives had their heyday in the mid-90s, so I would imagine that finding one with a somewhat modern connection (USB or even IDE) might be an issue. However suppose I find one with IDE - what are my chances of getting it to work with an IDE-USB adaptor? Does anybody have any experience with that?

Last resort would be buying a PII rig off eBay and putting the drive in there and try getting the data off by using the builtin tape program.
Skyfrog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never tried any of those IDE to USB adapters myself, though I have read they can be kind of iffy depending on the quality and what kind of device you are using them with. I was looking up Travan drives and found some that actually connect to a parallel port so if your PC has one that might be worth looking into.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Colorado-T1000e-Tape-drive-Travan-400-MB-800-TR-1-parallel/253922669244

https://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Ditto-External-Parallel-Drive/dp/B00005QY02

I don't know if any of this stuff is even supported on modern versions of Windows so the drivers and software might require Windows 98 or NT4.
mf_2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for the quick reply!

I checked the links. The eBay one says "parallel", but the pictures and the fact that it is an internal drive make it seem like an erroneous description. It looks like a 34-pin floppy port to me.

However the external drive on amazon seems legit.
I might look into that. Unfortunately I just got rid of my Dell Latitude E Series laptops, some of which featured parallel port docking stations.
However my parents still have some of those laptops - maybe I can connect a drive to one of these. I realize Windows 10 might not offer any support for this drive, but maybe Windows 98 in a VM will. I hope I can do a passthru of the parallel port.

First I have to find one of those drives on eBay Germany - at least now I have some better keywords, such as Iomega Ditto. Travan TR-1 really limits the number of hits on eBay.
Skyfrog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You're right, that's a floppy connector version. I wasn't looking at the auction photos but apparently there also an external parallel model. Also found this page with a Windows 95 driver for various drives. The description says it supports up to Windows 10 but I sort of doubt it, the installer is 16-bit.

https://www.helpjet.net/Fs-78819461-80177087-86115236.html

Anyway good luck with it. Smile
 Jump to: