Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ß ≠ β View next topic
View previous topic
ß

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Until today I had mistakenly believed that my username was the Greek letter Beta (β). It is not. It is actually the German letter Eszett (sharp S), which is a ligature of the Roman / Latin letters f and s. This is especially clear in a font such as Palatino Linotype (a beautiful typeface) -- copy the subject line of this post into e.g. Notepad and change the font to Palatino Linotype. You will then see what I mean!

Why does this matter? It matters because I thought that ß was the Greek equivalent to the Roman / Latin B when I originally chose ß for my username.

Oh well. :p

edit: I love how phpBB has converted the Unicode characters in my subject into their HTML character entity equivalents! :/ The first character in the subject line is the German letter Eszett (sharp S), the second is the inequality sign, and the third is a lowercase Greek letter beta.

edit #2: See question #12 ("I am seeing &#nnnn; sequences output instead of what I typed!") on http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=faq
mf_2

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The eszett is slowly getting weeded out of the German alanguage Smile

We had a spelling reform in 1998 which is the only accepted correct spelling since 1/1/2005. Witrhy the new spelling rules, the eszett is replaced by an 'ss' in many cases. Many people ( like me ) use a mixture of the spelling rules, as I got taught the old way in grades 1 through 4 ( when you learn all that spelling stuff ) but beginning in grade 5 they expected us to know the new rules that we had never been taught. Resistance aagainst that reform is so hard ( especially from the older folks 40+ ) that they'll partially undo it to make the confusion even greater... Embarassed
ß

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I want to learn German some day! Smile
 Jump to: