Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you're using Facebook, Twitter, etc.... View next topic
View previous topic
T-R-A

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is an interesting read:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Social-Networks-Leaking-Info-Aggrigators,news-4723.html
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to say I don't and likely won't
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I hear employers look at that kind of stuff to see if you are doing anything weird. I don't use them at all.
T-R-A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"employers look at that kind of stuff to see if you are doing anything weird. I don't use them at all."

While I do use it, it's under a fake name...Smile
dw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

*tin foil hat placed firmly on head*

I have reason to believe Facebook and the CIA are somehow connected. I'm not alone. The venture capitalists who funded Mr Z were heavily involved in the intelligence community. There is an old addage that goes "Once CIA.. Always CIA."

Whether you subscribe to this view or not, Facebook has a horrible privacy policy anyway. I no longer use the site because I don't want to be profiled by big brother or little brother for any reason.

*tin foil hat off*
mf_2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TIME Magazine featured an article about Zuckerberg not too long ago.
Somewhere in the article, a side note refered to Zuckerberg having a meeting with some high-ranking individual from the FBI. The article states that Facebook has all the data that the FBI dreams about having .... I wonder what was being discussed between the FBI and Zuckerberg.

However I continue to use Facebook (with my real name). I don't put any stuff on there which could be in my way of getting a job even if a future employer were to take a look at it.
wdegroot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the way my mail works
the DEL key gets rid ob both friend and foe when they offer to be my friend
I was saving the invitesd in a mailbox
but I deleted it
really not interewst\

I do have a program to save YouTube videos
and comvert them to a usable format.
T-R-A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
However I continue to use Facebook (with my real name). I don't put any stuff on there which could be in my way of getting a job even if a future employer were to take a look at it.

Actually, since my original post, I got off of Facebook (almost a year ago) due to all the privacy concerns. Just isn't worth it when there's other ways to keep in contact.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

T-R-A wrote:
Quote:

Actually, since my original post, I got off of Facebook (almost a year ago) due to all the privacy concerns. Just isn't worth it when there's other ways to keep in contact.

Yes like in person god forbid or via mail.
mf_2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It always depends on the distance. I use Facebook mainly to keep in contact with people from other continents such as America.
A regular letter takes quite a while to get there. Plus sharing photos etc. is waaay easier on Facebook than having to stuff them into an envelope.

Of course keeping in contact in person is best but I cannot always fly throughout the world to periodically see all the people I would like to stay in touch with.
I try to fly to the States two to three times a year but that's pushing it as far as my (college student) budget is concerned.

I think there are a few different types of Facebook users: Lots of people use it to keep in contact and do not share their whole life on their "wall". I fit in that category.
Then there are these certain individuals that put everything - including their latest bowel movement - on the wall. Those people are annoying and I do have some of those in my friends list (because they are fine people "off-line") but I simply block their wall posts.

As long as you stick to some ground rules even the privacy thing is not that harmful (even when data is being sold or leaked etc.).

Facebook starts getting dangerous when one puts embarrassing photos on there and starts "tagging" the people who appear in these photos. The same goes for videos or wall posts. However one can always delete posts on their own wall.
It also gets dangerous when the Facebook Apps spread false information but I think the Facebook team is going after those app developers a lot better now.
wdegroot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was told of asn instance where two members of a family, after a serios happening,
buth got on facebook and blasted and cursed another family member
I doubt they can figure out how to remove these posts
I heard the report that the other family member
did not say anything out of line, just things that were totally misunderstood
In the past, before pc's -- at least before the internet-- co workers and often bosses would get furious and loose it because that heard what someone said or explainded BACKWAFRS,
after careful discuuions with others
we determined that person had a drinking problem ( during the workday) and was temporaily insane.

I have seen postings on other forums where the person actually said they were drunbk.
but this ranting and cusring..
we may be seeing these folks in a few days
I am quietly passing the word to be very careful what is said or discussed. Possibly another branch will fall off the tree?
don't these people realize that these posts are \out there for everyone to see?
Ole Juul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Perhaps I should have just left this old thread alone, but I couldn't resist since I just wrote a 3K word essay on the subject. Smile If you're interested you can find it on my new blog which I just started so I'd have a place to put these communications related articles. You can find it here: http://notandor.wordpress.com/ There's also a post with some basic facts that might make someone think twice.

My problem with it is not so much the privacy issues, although they can be devastating for some people in some countries. Particularly if you want to be honest and have anti-government sentiments. This is something that people in "safe" countries seem to forget - for some inexplicable reason. Anyway, the big problem is that they are a "man in the middle". Yes, this forum is also like that, but the big difference is we are just a few people here, and Facebook is HUGE. They are sitting in the middle of almost one billion people's conversations of which they have legal ownership. Note that they are not a common carrier, but a private company, so they have no particular responsibility to not change what they do. Things happen quickly in the internet world and the small things that we do how, have a huge effect in just a few short years.
 Jump to: