Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMS or XMS? View next topic
View previous topic
commodorejohn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I recently rescued an AT Rambank II memory expander card from the local recycling center. It's filled to capacity with 2MB of RAM, and I see from this guide that it can be configured as either 2MB of EMS, or 2MB of XMS. I have a 286, so XMS is an option, but I'm trying to figure out whether it's the best choice for normal use, since DOS doesn't use protected mode and can't directly access high memory.

From Wikipedia's description, it sounds like real-mode XMS managers work by copying memory by hand into the conventional memory area. Is this correct? It sounds too awkward to be true, but you never know. EMS at least has hardware bank-switching, so it's bound to be faster than manual copying (if that is the case.) Any words of wisdom on the subject?

ryan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

XMS is generally more usefull, though some games used ems. The deciding factor for me would be what does the software I am trying to run want?
 Jump to: