Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help?!?! View next topic
View previous topic
NViousGK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have finally finished a complete restoration of a beautiful perfect IBM 5150 PC. I have a lot of software for it, but I don't seem to have a working version of a decent word processor. Does anyone have a good copy of Word Perfect, or WordStar I can install on my PC running DOS 3.3? I have several word processors, but they are all shareware, and I cannot install them. They will run just fine from the floppy diskette, but I can't run them from my internal hard disc, because they are all demo versions.

If I can be pointed to a link, or FTP site, where I can download a complete version, that would be fantastic.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Microsoft Word 5.5 for DOS is still available (and legal) :

http://download.microsoft.com/download/word97win/Wd55_be/97/WIN98/EN-US/Wd55_ben.exe
NViousGK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for pointing me to that one. But the the original IBM 5150 and 5160 XT won't accept anything nearly that large. Even with nothing else open, the maximum available memory on these systems is 640Kb.

Thanks for pointing me to this program, but do you know of anything that will run on less than 640Kb of RAM?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Older versions of Microsoft Works for DOS (v.1-v.3) may work, as well as PFS:Write for DOS and perhaps early versions of WordPerfect/WordStar (as you mentioned). Other than that, you'll be very limited.
NViousGK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's what I'm afraid of. I've been trying to locate links to early versions of Word Perfect, and WordStar, but just can't seem to locate anything at all. I would hope there was a link to a useable version available for download somewhere. However, I haven't been able to find anything but demo versions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's one that (even though shareware) deserves a look:

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/oldfav.html
NViousGK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shweet! I have already downloaded the Breeze Word Processor. It actually looks pretty good. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

In my software library, I have a version of WordStar that requires 5 floppy disks to do a complete install. This is fine, but I don't know if it's compatible with my 5150. I'm sure it will install on my tweener, but I'm not sure if it can be used with the systems 640KB of RAM.

Still, I will try Breeze, and give it a good testing before I decide to keep it or not.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thought you might like that one. Remember using it on an old Compaq Portable II (286) with a Radio Shack printer and getting a pretty decent printout.
wdegroot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

look in your mailbox
the name address and zip code does not match
anything in www.zabasearch.com
NViousGK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks WD. Smile

I got the files you sent. I do have a question though. Are all of these compatible with an XT class machine with only 640 KB of RAM? I'm not worried about hard disc space. There are two fixed disks in the IBM 5161 expansion unit. The primary is an MFM full height Miniscribe 10 Meg unit, and the other is a 30 Meg MFM full height drive manufactured by Control Data Systems. I just need to make sure the programs you gave me are compatible with the system.

Thanks again WD. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lotus Symphony should work I only have a swedish version on 5.25 floppies though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Symphony_%28DOS%29
NViousGK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I want to thank all of you for responding so positively and quickly. I found a few great word processors and have two installed. One is called Breeze, and the other is a slightly newer version of WordStar. Both work very well with my CGA card, and show off the 5150's color capabilities quite well.

Thanks again everyone. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

set switches on the [c pr xt motherboard to
NO VIDEO or EGA
and they try an older VGA isa card
and a vbga monitor ( yes a 16 bit card in an 8 bit XT slot. many will work.
older si better
forget about " drivers" it is a non issue with any software you can run
some games may work other will not.
esasier on the eyes..
IG you choose an older monitor nobody but you will know.
NViousGK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Naw.. I'll just keep the standard CGA output. That's plenty good enough for what I'm doing.

Thank you though.

Jump to: