Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Locating old software View next topic
View previous topic
bettablue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Now that I have my IBM 5150 PC, 5160 XT, and Apple lle computers fully restored to perfectly working order, I need to get some software to run on them. All of their floppy drives have been completely refurbished, repaired and recallibrated, all of the hardware is in excellent condition and both of the IBM systems have their full compliment of 640K RAM, serial and parallel cards, and original monitors and keyboards. The 5150 has a CGA graphics adapter card while my 5160 still has a monochrome graphics card installed. There are currently no network card installed in any of the computers, but that will be remidied soon.

Now, onto the software.

First: Apple ll software is typically pretty small, so depending on how many programs I can find, I'll be using a CF card and adapter to both run the computer and store programs and games. Does anyone know of a good place to find productivity software for the Apple lle? Right now, I don't have anything at all to run on the Apple with the exception of a few games. I need whatever word processors and spreadsheet programs I can get my grubby mits on.

Secondly: I'm also looking for some specific software titles for the IBM systems. Please remember, everything for the IBM computers will need to fit and run on only 640K of RAM. I'm looking for Lotus 123 1.0 a, Word Perfect version 1.0, and pretty much anything written for specific tasks like banking and checking accounts, spreadsheets and such.

I already have a copy of Microsofts Visicalc, but I would like more options.

Does anyone have any software I can either purchase from you on a CD, or maybe FTP? Of course, if you can point me to a web page where I can download copies of these, that would be great too.

Thanks for reading. I'll look forward to hearing your responses. Very Happy

Always lookinng for new parts and upgrades
T-R-A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Of course, if you can point me to a web page where I can download copies of these, that would be great too.

Please note. We don't do "abandonware" here on a public forum. However, what you do on PM is between you and the other parties.
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Visicalc was made by Software Arts which turned into Visicorp.

I kind of wonder why people spend money and time to rebuild a computer and then want pirated software for it.
mf_2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I assume it is because you can't pirate hardware.
That being said it might also be because the old software is not always easy to find on the original disks.
I think the people would go out and buy the old software since it is usually priced in the <10$ range. It is just a matter of finding the disks. Evene eBay is not what it used to be for abandonware hunters (at least eBay Germany).
And that's why some of them (me included) think it is ok to download that software on the internet given one can find it there.

It would be different if the vendor was still selling the product, but I doubt that i.e. one could get an original copy of the Word 1.0 disks if they were to contact Microsoft. However I am not exactly certain that Microsoft (in this case) will be offended if one were to download the disk images for Word 1.0.

Drawing the line can be a tough one. What is still abandonware? Office 95? 97? I would say that for software from the 1980s and early 1990s it is ok.

That's just my opinion, bettablue might have a completely different take on the matter.
T-R-A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

It would be different if the vendor was still selling the product, but I doubt that i.e. one could get an original copy of the Word 1.0 disks if they were to contact Microsoft. However I am not exactly certain that Microsoft (in this case) will be offended if one were to download the disk images for Word 1.0.

Since Microsoft maintains copyrights on all of it's software and operating systems, back to the first version of DOS, I'd suspect they'd sue for Word 1.0 as well...
bettablue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mf-2 has it right. I have looked online for legal copies of everything I want as far as software is concerned. Vendors just don't have these available any longer. Even E-Bay, as good as it is doesn't have some titles I'm looking for. I would gladly pay for original software, and no, I don't condone pirating in any way. But, when it comes to something that hasn't been around for 20 or 30 years that even the original vendors don't support, or sell, it really should fall under the abandonware realm. Trust me. If I could purchase these legally, I would.

mf_2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

T-R-A wrote:
Since Microsoft maintains copyrights on all of it's software and operating systems, back to the first version of DOS, I'd suspect they'd sue for Word 1.0 as well...

Yes they do still hold the copyright on the software but what would be gained by suing?
I get it if they were to sue in the case of Office 2003, 2007 or 2010. Those are still widely available in stores (although 2003 not so much) and by pirating it instead of buying it you are essentially stealing it and Microsoft loses money.

However neither Microsoft nor any computers store still sells shrinkwrapped copies of Word 1.0 (at least not to my knowledge!!). This means that there is no loss to Microsoft if the copy is pirated.
One might argue: "Well tough luck, if Word 1.0 is not available anymore then just get the oldest Word available. Its unavailability doesn't give you the right to pirate it." Yes that's true. But the oldest Word I have seen in stores is 2007, but show me one of those running on the machines a Word 1.0 was designed for.

Technically pirating Word 1.0 is still stealing (and thus wrong) but I highly doubt that Microsoft would sue over this. Microsoft is - like most companies - a profit-oriented one and there is no profit to be had by going after Word 1.0 pirates.

Of course Microsoft cannot openly say "Yeah folks, go ahead and download Word 1.0" because then they would be endorsing piracy. But I think they somewhat tolerate people downloading it.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I've got a copy of Word for Windows (1.0?) somewhere around here. If you're interested, I'll look for it.

For Apple II stuff, you may want to post a wish list here:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/forums/?forumID=5233

There's a fellow who has quite a bit of Apple II stuff he's been trying to clear out of his basement who posts there. I do not see him on the memberlist here (but he could be using a different handle.) He's out of IIe games, though. I don't think he has any disk drives left either.

In regards to abandonware: I support the concept and wish companies would release their old software after it's time has passed. However, I'm still using Office 97 for just about any word processing/spread sheet work I need to do (it runs just fine on Windows 7) so I can see the point in not releasing something like Office 97 as abandonware just because there's a new version out.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
bettablue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Definitely interested. And, only if you don't mind.

I agree with you too Puckdropper. Companies should release their old software, especially if the software won't work with newer operating systems natively. Also, instead of pulling software completely from the public, how about offering it as a download for a nominal fee? They may be surprised at how many people would still want a copy.

wdegroot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My wife does a newsletter using Ventura publisher anbd adobe distiller ( pdf maker)
the sortware was originally used with wfwg and later with 95.98,2000 anmd xp
after we set her up with an xp machien it worked for several months and then seriously screwed up. mostly with the old adobe distiller 5.00
sice she has many apps installer re-doing her pc was not a option--too much work and too many screams.
so I set up her old machine with w 2000 and the older software, it still works and she does basic editing on the new pc and finalized the newsletter on the old pc we drag out every month.
a 4gb sd card lets he mobe the files/.

I talked to both adobe and to corel ventura. only a big cash paym,ent would work for either sespite both programs were provided by them for the non-profic she works for
we could not even get the incremental upgrade to venture that was free at that time.
They recognize her ownership as 3 years ago they gave us a replacement cd key after she lost hers.

But these companies,. at least, are unfriendly even to those who run and own older versions.
wdegroot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am certain there was an older version of MS word that M$ offered as a free download 3-4 years ago
I must view my archives.
mf_2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wdegroot wrote:
I am certain there was an older version of MS word that M$ offered as a free download 3-4 years ago
I must view my archives.

Sounds interesting. I have never heard of them doing that.
However they have just now started to offer Office 2010 Starter for free but I think it features in-app advertising and is somewhat limited in its featureset. However I cannot talk from personal experience so I am not 100% sure about this.
bettablue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never heard of them doing that either. But if it's true, Wow!

I'm still looking for any kind of productivity software for my 5150. It doesn't have to be from MS, or any of the major program vendors, but it should at least work. Here's a short list; document/word processing, spreadsheet programs, checkbooking, recipes, and file management. As I get a few upgrades, I'll be wanting to get things like imaging software and possibly even music/mp3 tools.

Thanks again.

wdegroot wrote:
I must view my archives.

T-R-A

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I must view my archives.

Likely meaning Word 5.5 for DOS (still available):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/word97win/Wd55_be/97/WIN98/EN-US/Wd55_ben.exe
mf_2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

T-R-A wrote:
Quote:
I must view my archives.

Likely meaning Word 5.5 for DOS (still available):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/word97win/Wd55_be/97/WIN98/EN-US/Wd55_ben.exe

Wow, I would have never believed that they actually turned a Word version into freeware. Did they release pre-5.5 versions too?
 Jump to: