Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-mail program View next topic
View previous topic
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since Yahoo! Mail got rid of their "classic" (IOW... useful) interface, I've been using an Seamonkey E-mail to read my mail. It's an annoying interface as well, so I'm looking for something better. Any suggestions on free or open source e-mail programs?

I need support for IMAP and POP.

I use Xnews to read Usenet and like how the program works. I'd be quite happy if I could use Xnews to read my mail, but that isn't happening.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
T-R-A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you still want the convenience of using web-based mail (and don't mind changing your address), FastMail seems to work with older browsers and is almost instantaneous (compared to Yahoo's "molasses-in-January" response time).

If you only want to change programs---I used to use a program called Foxmail (not related to Firefox) years ago that was slim and quick and supported POP3 and IMAP. Haven't used it in quite some time so I don't know if it is still available in English (it was from a Chinese company). Did find this on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxmail
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I loved FastMail about 8-9 years ago. (Long before the Opera acquisition.) It was fast, easy to use and worked very well. It also played nicely with my browser (does anyone but me use Seamonkey/Firefox's "find when typing" feature?). Unfortunately the new FastMail interface, coupled with overly-restrictive mailbox size restrictions (does Opera still have those?) meant I had to go elsewhere.

The feature to click on the sender's name and start a new message (not a reply, but just a new message) eliminated the need for an address book completely.

I'm tempted to give writing an e-mail client of my own a try, especially if the PHP libraries handle the difficult stuff for me.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
bear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you use foxmail, the chinese one works, just remove the chinese language pack, http://foxmail.com.cn/ chinese.lng should go, just instal and guess which is yes and no and after install remove chinese.lng.
 Jump to: