Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nice dell dimension but what a slug View next topic
View previous topic
wdegroot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

don visited to get his computer foxed. he is duimpster diving and brought three compiters. oen a HP would not start the other hp ran butr was so slow that any practical or useful OS couyld not be loaded.
the third a dell dimension pIII 866 seemed to have possibilites. I upped the ram fropm 128 to 512 and it was runbnibng that famnous ME.
seemed to be very very slow. NDD seemed to think the 8g drive was run by a device driver/ hiuh.
the ownber had cleaned out the control p[anel and it constsantly wined abotu "active desktop.
at one point early on I had a nicer blue desktop but the white oen with the beg aqnd dead clicker for active desktop annoyed me.
I installed a few utils and diskkeeper lite ( from major geeks) it says it is a microsoft program and looks like defrag inb xpo but works on 95-98-me and mne.

I finally had all I could stand and am now installing a new os.
the cd was dead and I removed the modem and putr in a 3com nic card. gets on the www with no fooling or setup
usb worked properly.
the new cde isw a dvd and is 48 x.
so... why fool around? I like the narrow case, the pIII 866 mb will go away and I will put in a working athalon 1200 with a

IO g of ram,. Don gave me a flat screen monitor and kb. so it will eb a good "upstairs system.,
wi-fi, i have a card, i read books for the blind and d/.l many. witha porertable drive I can move a new BOOK to my thumb drive as neded.
the smaller case will ne nice. but the pIII 866 is a dog.the new install will, I hope ,run faster
 Jump to: