Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern computers are junk View next topic
View previous topic
creepingnet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jason S wrote:
Creepingnet, that's a sweet looking case. I miss those days.
Now you go on eBay or somwhere to try and buy a new case
and all you see is ridiculous crap like this:

These new cases are the ugliest things I've ever seen. I wouldn't
have something like that in my house, I'd be embarrased to death
to be seen with one in fact.

You know what that case reminds me of............

The funny part is I've never seen in the entire history of homestar runner, a computer that Strongbad has that looks like that!

Yeah, I like my case, never giving it up. Shoot, today I just got that bugger on the web via RedHat Linux w/cable, I like it better than Windows 98 SE! No Pop-Up's (Mozilla), my download speed seems to be much faster too!

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I run a HTML filter on my system... It likely does make some surfing faster because it keeps the adverts from loading. When, oh when, will the people in charge figure out not everyone has the fastest and latest because they CAN'T ACCESS IT AT ALL.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
386er

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to agree, some newer computers are desinged not to last.
The computer company wants you to buy new computer so they make the machine breakdown after a few years. Were I work someone brought a computer that had a HUGE heatsinks in it and the fan would get full of dust and debris so fast that the computer would over heat before windows started.
Darren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, I don't like revising old topics, but I have to give my input here Rolling Eyes

Over the summer I worked at a local hospital. All their new computers were Dell Optiplex GX620s. I got about 10 of them still boxed to setup. About five of those had problems of some sort, two of those wouldn't even power up! They had no quality control! And on top of that, the parts are super cheap. These still had LPT ports on the back. I'm not kidding, you couldn't use it. Any pressure would just cause the whole set of ports to be pushed into the case! They had no support or anything.

Now, I have seen some decent machines. I think my computer's pretty high quality. So are macs if you wish to go that route. I have a Macintosh Mini and the quality is very nice. I'll admit it, it's more solid than my tower Razz

I guess most of the "prebuilt" computers have gone to crap, but you can still get decent computers if you're willing to spend a little more than the bare min.
creepingnet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Darren wrote:
OK, I don't like revising old topics, but I have to give my input here Rolling Eyes

Over the summer I worked at a local hospital. All their new computers were Dell Optiplex GX620s. I got about 10 of them still boxed to setup. About five of those had problems of some sort, two of those wouldn't even power up! They had no quality control! And on top of that, the parts are super cheap. These still had LPT ports on the back. I'm not kidding, you couldn't use it. Any pressure would just cause the whole set of ports to be pushed into the case! They had no support or anything.

Now, I have seen some decent machines. I think my computer's pretty high quality. So are macs if you wish to go that route. I have a Macintosh Mini and the quality is very nice. I'll admit it, it's more solid than my tower Razz

I guess most of the "prebuilt" computers have gone to crap, but you can still get decent computers if you're willing to spend a little more than the bare min.

Hehehehe, plastic snaps, I've dealt with those kinds of motherboard trays so many times I still remember what a pain it is to get htem aligned, and they are a REAL pain to get to snap in place. What's even more scary is that I've only been doing installs for about 4 years now, and I remember when those GX620s were BRAND NEW, it was not that long ago, lol, talk about a disposable computer. I pulled something like 30 of those this past summer, where I installed 250 of them in 2003.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
 Jump to: