Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IBM XT 286 - PSU caused the "Super-Gau" View next topic
View previous topic
xt286

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi to all!

Currently, I am working on a IBM XT 286. I need it to run my programmer, to program a few MCUs and to play digger at least Smile Although I could bring it back to life at the beginning the power supply had a defect more or less soon. I built another AT PSU in the original XT PSU case and now I get all voltages except I have just 2,4V at the power good line. Now I think, my mainboard is toast, because the AT supply seems to be OK without mainboard. Well, I could buy a spare board, but this is not how I want to solve this problem. With my DMM I found out (switched to Diode - testing) that I have just 15R between GND and the +5V line on the TTLs f.e. and the DMM is beeping. This is not what I have expected. Does anybody know common mainboard defects in combination with a broken PSU? Is there any schematic online which could help me to find the defects with my osciloscope? Moreover I found two 27256 Eproms on the board. Where can I find the image in case they stopped working? And last but not least I saw several MMI bproms on the module... What is, if they are damaged?

Thanks for any help, Hanno / Aachen, Germany.
Diky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it should be a capacitor in short-circuit. I had a similar problem on an old XT motherboard but when i swap PSU the bad capacitor blows up. Motherboard still doesn't work but +5 is now +5.

BIOS eprom's could be easily dumped from a working xt286 (Who doesn't own a xt286... Smile ) i remember that on Simtel there was a program to dump BIOS rom for burning new BIOS eprom for solve some HD table problems, you can use that.

Good luck.
xt286

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the fast reply.

Usually I am repairing old pinball games with 6502 or 6800 MPUs. From my experience the defect part depends on the piece I desolder first: For example, if I am beginning with the capacitors, itīs usually one of the TTLs and via versa Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I am going to readout the 27256s tomorrow morning. Hopefully, they are still OK.. I wonīt think about the Monolithic Memories yet Mad

I would like to know a few things before I proceed and desolder the TTLs:

Can anyone messure the resistance between +5V and GND on any TTL with power connection plugged off? Is there any difference between a standard AT PSU and a IBM XT-286 PSU?

Thanks, Hanno.
xt286

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I havenīt done anything yet because I am not sure about the PSU.

However Iīve done a small service for XT286 owners: The bins are now online. You can download them here:
http://www.strikesandspares.de/RomsInet/xt286.zip

Moreover I found out that the ICs to repair the board a more expensive than a complete new XT286. Confused
T-R-A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Moreover I found out that the ICs to repair the board a more expensive than a complete new XT286.

That's the problem with obsolescence. You start hitting the other end of the "bathtub curve" when technology advances. More manufacturers are now making surface-mount components, and fewer are making DIPs, thus the price of the DIPs goes up because they're in short supply...
xt286

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good news. Today I could fix the motherboard. A TTL had gone bad. Iīve spent 2 evenings with messuring. Moreover I was the fool at work because Iīve told somebody, that I am trying to fix a 286 mobo. Well, they have just no idea!! Wink
 Jump to: