Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fastest 286 Motherboard View next topic
View previous topic
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, it is certainly an interesting discovery. I certainly haven't heard about it before, and I doubt a lot of people know about it either. I am currently running an SB 2.0 in my XT. I think that the SB Pro is a better card though, because I do believe it has some extra voices and cleaner sounding output. I think I'll leave my SB Pro II in my AT for now. What I would really like is an SB 1.0 or 1.5 for my XT.
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

creepingnet wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:
Creepingnet, I noticed that your XT II has a Soundblaster Pro II installed. Do those really work in 8-bit slots?

Amazingly yes it does. The 16 bit end hangs off though, and I think when in 8-bit mode, the CD-ROM controller is disabled.

I think you guys are confused. All Sound Blaster cards up to and including the Pro II were 8-bit ISA cards, and have no extra interface piece "hanging off the end". They work just fine in an XT as long as you choose a free IRQ (5 is taken by the hard drive, so you have to choose either 7 or 2).

So here's a bit of trivia: Were there ever any 16-bit *audio* sound cards that worked in an *8-bit* slot? Yes! Early versions of the Pro Audio Spectrum did, as well as some clones. So it is possible to have 44.1KHz 16-bit audio come out of your XT. Scary, eh?
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Trixter, I think you are mistaken. You are correct that the Sound Blaster Pro is an 8-bit card. However, you are incorrect about them having only an 8-bit interface. They do infact use a 16-bit ISA slot for the MKE CD-ROM interface. However, I always figured creative labs did something sneaky to prevent people from using them in 8-bit slots and never bothered to try it out.
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am indeed mistaken, sorry. I opened up my XT and confirmed both our assertions: The Sound Blaster Pro II does indeed have a 16-bit ISA interface, and the sound card portion does indeed work in an 8-bit slot.

If the 16-bit portion of the interface is only used for the CDROM interface, then I wonder if the Sound Blaster 16 can be used in an 8-bit slot as well...
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You can give it a shot, but I doubt it will work. I am pretty sure that the SB16 actually uses the 16-bit portion of the slot to process sound properly.
creepingnet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I did some searching on the internet months ago for my Pro II, and found out that it came in an 8-bit version as well with a CD-ROM interface (I think), but it was apparently later released as a 16 bit version. Otherwise, both are functionally the same sound wise I figure.

It gives off pretty good sound running on an 8-bit bus. Even the audio it throws out is really good and rather clean.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's pretty interesting. I've never seen the 8-bit ISA version before.
 Jump to: