Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High end video cards for old systems View next topic
View previous topic
creepingnet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Unknown_K wrote:
Are you in the US? I think I have a trident 16 bit ISA video card I don't need.

Yes I am, if it's SVGA.

Funny thing is, I just fixed the problem with the CAT Computers, and did so by buying ANOTHER basketcase 486 box, an AMT 486 DX/33 with a 1GB HDD, and 8MB of RAM on one 72 pin SIMM, but it had an S3 805 under the hood. Right now I slapped my WD 256K VGA in it for the time being till I get the motherboard sorted out (though I have a second nearly identical board on standby if this one does not work out). Only $20 as/is. So now I have a new project.

I just threw my Packard Bell TV Tuner Card into the other 486. That makes at least 4 in this house.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You don't like the S3 805? It's no Mach32, but it should still beat the hell out of the Trident (which is said to be the slowest vga adapter ever made). I hear that the 805 also reallly excels at DOS VGA graphics.
T-R-A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
but it should still beat the hell out of the Trident (which is said to be the slowest vga adapter ever made)

Yeah, but a ton of Trident's were made. Still cheap (and slow) today. Just finding an ISA/EISA/VLB video card is darn near impossible now... Evil or Very Mad
386er

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

tridents are slow but, cheap, thats why there still around, evan in isa form. A few companies still make them. i saw some company making cirrus logic video cards in isa, max res 1024x768x16 and tridents that run at 1024x768x256 both were for under 35 bucks.
creepingnet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Anonymous Coward wrote:
You don't like the S3 805? It's no Mach32, but it should still beat the hell out of the Trident (which is said to be the slowest vga adapter ever made). I hear that the 805 also reallly excels at DOS VGA graphics.

Well, that's probably changed now, since I actually found drivers on the first try. I had the same chipset in an IBM PS/Valuepoint a few years back, and god it was a PAIN to find the drivers. I remember staying up about 15 hours trying to find drivers for that thing. Thankfully there's that Kala Metropoli place, though it works only some of the time.

Actually, the card is much faster, and I seem to be eating up less GDI. So the CAT Computers lives (yes that's the actual brand), it's been runing WFWG 3.11 for 24 hours now, and the GDI is still in the upper 70's, and that's even running at 800X600 @32 bit color. Of course, the card is likely faster than that Trident, the trident was ann ISA card, before that I had a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5429, but it had issues with the Chipset according to something I read on the internet about this particular motherboard (ASUS VL/I-486SV2G, VL/I-486SV2GX4) not liking Cirrus Logic adapters, particularly the 5429 of all things.

Not to go too far off subject, butI found out the board in the AMT 486 is dead though, actually, both 486 boards I have seem to have issues with memory, so there's a chance I'll wait on that machine, it's pretty nice otherwise, heck, I even got another 8-bit SCSI HOST ADAPTER with it, I'm tempted to throw that into my 286.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://global.mitsubishielectric.com/company/rd/advance/pdf/vol75/vol75.pdf

I probably have one of the top end 8 bit video cards of the day and not to mention truly vintage, not as good as an IBM PGA but with more color depth.

A circa 1987 metheus 8842 9 pin video card with 512kb double sided vram hooked to the secondary chipset 120ns with Along with 256kb of fast 100ns mb81c466 multiport dram hooked to the main 32bit Metheus 02204899-00 MB650305 chipset

http://global.mitsubishielectric.com/company/rd/advance/pdf/vol75/vol75.pdf page 22 odd that it mentions NTSC as the intent

Sadly I can't get this thing running I'm not really sure what the pinout is, it also has a fair number of jumpers which I can't decipher.

I have a strong feeling that it would match into on of my old computer portrait machines but without drivers or information I am somewhat stuck, one of these days I will need a decent scope to see whats what.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be? I was thinking a high color NTSC broadcast video card AKA 512x480 with a buffer for maybe a related capture card.

Originally I thought it might drive on of these big radius or mitsubishi 22" monitors I have from the early 80's
386er

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

since were talking about high end video cards, lookie what i found at work!
a cornerstone ImageAccel 1600/76 4mb vram (each chip is 512kb each) max res is 1600x1280, beats my ATI mach 64.

http://www.4shared.com/file/30298673/88dcd5cc/imageaccel.html
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have an old Cornerstone Imageaccel I ISA video card for their goofy 21" MOnochrome monitors 1600x1200 or 19xx by ??? (never did get the hi res to work with this card, not enough vram)

Anyway that card has 1mb of ram for the big screen and a 256k vga card integrated into one card.

It was a strange collusion you could either use just the big mono screen and have emulated VGA or you could have a little vga color monitor for dos boxes and dos software and a big monitor for whatever hi-res stuff you were doing (dual screen card). I originally had about 7 of these screens coupled with NCR microchannel 486dx2-66's (only had 2 computers) that were from a bank accounting dept. I ended up getting rid of them along with most of my vintage stuff in 2k but I kept one screen and one ISA card I bought off ebay, sadly I haven't gotten this one in a box running again.

Cheers
Ryan
 Jump to: