Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picasa Web Album stinks in China View next topic
View previous topic
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The big stupid firewall is really annoying, and it prevents me from doing a lot of things that are in no way related to plotting against the Chinese government. One such annoyance is that most western websites are pretty unreliable. I have serious problems trying to upload to Picasa. I have even tried several proxies, but it still craps out about 95% of the time. Does anyone know how I can get around this problem so I can upload pictures of all my neat vintage crap?

http://picasaweb.google.com/misterzeropage/
T-R-A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's the disadvantage of living in a non-free society. Even though your intentions are good, there's no way for the government to know (or believe) that. Plus you risk the consequences should you try to bypass whatever restrictions they've put on you (some I'd shudder to think of). I realize that doesn't do anything to resolve your problem, but just realize what you may be getting into there... Shocked
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I probably have less to worry about living here as I am certain the FBI, CIA or the RIAA isn't going to kick down my door and throw my ass in prison for downloading some crappy Michael Bolton MP3 from the internets.
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In the US companies take you to court and make you pay them money, in China they tend to shoot you for theft.

I would rather get a bill then get shot and dumped in the street in front of my house while the neighbors watch.

FBI/CIA is no different then what the chinese equivalents do to their citizens, I tend to hate the government spying on me unless they know I did something wrong 1st (and a federal crime not some local misdemeaner).
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyway, the topic of the conversation is "how get around the firewall so picasa will work", not "All of the great freedoms americans supposedly have"

I've tried many different proxy servers. They are all slow and unreliable, and usually have lots of annoying restrictions. Does anyone know of a proxy server that doesn't stink?
bear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5219008 if u can acces it.

Quote:
I don't know a lot about this subject, but fortunately my friend Bennett Haselton runs Peacefire and he's an expert on circumventing government imposed censorship and Internet restrictions, so I asked him for some advice on this topic.

Here's what he shared:

These instructions will work for getting around virtually any blocking software, from Internet censoring software at your workplace, to the "Great Firewall of China" and other barriers that countries like China and Iran have implemented to censor Internet access in their entire country.

1. First, try a circumvention site like StupidCensorship.com

Obviously, since that site has been linked on our page for months, that will only work if your blocking software doesn't update its blocked-site list very often, but some places it is still accessible. Many Web sites are blocked in China, for example, but StupidCensorship.com still isn't.

2. If that doesn't work, you can join our e-mail list, where we mail out new Circumventor sites every 3 or 4 days. Of course, employees of blocking software companies have gotten on this list as well, so they add our sites to their blocked-site database as soon as we mail them out, but in most places it takes 3-4 days for the blocked-site list to be updated. So the latest one that we mail out, should usually still work.

3. If you have a computer with an uncensored Internet connection, you can follow these easy steps to set up your own Circumventor site.

For example, if you want to get around blocking software at work, and you have a home computer with an uncensored Internet connection, you can install the Circumventor on your home computer. Then it will give you a new URL, and you can take that URL in with you to work and type it into your browser to get around the network blocking software.

Another
Quote:
This page describes how to install the "Circumventor" program, which can be used to get around all Web blocking programs.

However, Please Note!! You don't actually install the Circumventor on the computer that is blocked from accessing Web sites. You, or a friend of yours, has to install the Circumventor on some other machine which is not censored.

For example, if you want to get around Web blocking at work, don't install the Circumventor on your work computer. Install the Circumventor on your home computer. When the installer is done, it will give you the URL for your new Circumventor, and then you write that URL down and take it in with you to work, where you can use that URL to bypass the Web blocking there. Similarly, if you're in China and blocked from accessing certain sites, don't install the Circumventor on a machine in China; instead, get a friend to install it outside China, and then they can send you the URL that you can use to access banned sites.

If you want to, please enter your email address below if you would like to receive updates about the Circumventor software. This will include announcements about new versions and improvements. We will never share your email address with any third party.

Quote:
How to install the Circumventor

The machine where you install the Circumventor must have a fast Internet connection (not dial-up), and it must be running Windows XP or 2000 (this includes most computers these days). Also, once you install the Circumventor on your machine, the Circumventor will only work as long as you have your machine turned on and connected to the Internet, so you should only install it on machines that are online more or less all the time.

NOTE: By installing this software, you will be joining an interconnected Web of Circumventor machines, so just as you can surf the Web via other people's machines (at sites like StupidCensorship.com), at times other users will be surfing the Web through your machine. However, they will not have access to any files or programs on your machine.

To install:

1. Download ActivePerl from this link and install it. It must be installed to C:\Perl (this should be the default). Accept all of the default options.
2. Download OpenSA 2.0.2 beta from this link (FireFox users -- please right-click and pick "Save Link As") and install it. Accept all of the default options. (If you get to a screen titled "Server Information" and it doesn't have values filled in for "Network Domain", "Server Name" and "Administrator's Email Address", just fill in these boxes with made-up random values -- the Circumventor doesn't use them.)
3. Download the circumventor-setup.exe program from this link and pick "Save" -- then once you have saved it on your computer, run the circumventor-setup.exe file that you saved.

If the circumventor-setup.exe program succeeds, it will display an "It's ready!" page at the end of the install. If it fails, it will create a file circumventor-setup-log.txt -- send that file to bennett@peacefire.org and we will try to figure out what went wrong.

Perarl link: http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/5.8/ActivePerl-5.8.3.809-MSWin32-x86.msi

OpenSA link: http://www.peacefire.org/circumventor/opensa_2.0.2.msi

Circumventor link : http://www.peacefire.org/circumventor/circumventor-setup.exe
 Jump to: