Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A very neat upgrade for 286 systems View next topic
View previous topic
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just bought a really interesting CPU upgrade for 80286 CPUs on eBay. It is a a Cyrix 486DLC board with socket for Math coprocessor (IIT FPU included). Both CPU and FPU are 40MHz parts. It seems that this module is for 12MHz 286 systems, and has a built in clock trippler to run CPU and FPU at 36MHz. It's very unusual, I have never seen anything like it before. It is made by a company called Buffalo that produces for Asian computer markets. I don't yet know much about this upgrade, except it is called Buffalo HRX 12T. You can see the auction here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230139459163&rd=1&rd=1

I am not sure if there are any other goodies on the underside of the board, like possibly some L2 cache. However, what I am planning to do is remove the Cyrix DLC chip and pop on a TI486SXL instead, which is the same as the Cyrix but with 8kb L1 cache. Hell, I could probably even put on the Intel Rapidcads, but I think it's more useful to have the L1 cache than good FPU performance. Anyway, it'll be a while before I can do the testing, but I will certainly write here about it later.
harshbarj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I seen one like this about 13 years ago at school. From the looks of it it has a standard 386 socket.

Find one of these
http://homepage3.nifty.com/sandy55/Interposer/386_upgrade.html#486%20Now

and upgrade the upgrade. Then find a turbochip133 and see if it will take.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm...in this situation I probably wouldn't upgrade the upgrade, because I think since all of these boards have built in clock multipliers it could cause some problems. Now, if I could figure out how to disable the multiplier then we might be in business?

A 5x86-133 on an original 5170 motherboard would be something, wouldn't it?
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What is rather unfortunate is that the CPUs are soldered directly onto the PCB rather than socketed. I could attempt to desolder them, but I think it isn't worth damaging something so unique.
 Jump to: