Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cyrix 287XL+??? View next topic
View previous topic
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought one of these chips recently. I am wondering what makes the 287XL+ different than a regular Cyrix 287XL. Since the Cyrix 287s are infact based around the 387 core, I am guessing that the differences would be similar between a Cyrix 387 and 387+. However, I am not sure what makes the 387+ so special either. Any Cyrix gurus in here?
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This isn't for cyrix but the IIt documentation I have laying around said that the 486slc required a plus type chip to operate reliably, the non plus chip had timing issues with slc chips. I can't figure how that would make any difference on a 287 though unless a 287xl+ works on a 386sx as well as a 286.

On this subject what the heck is a Cyrix 2x86 and a 3x86 ?? Long ago I wanted to buy a pair listed but the price wasn't right for curiosity.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm...you might just be right about that. The 287XL is meant to be installed on a 286 motherboard, but in theory it should work in a 386SX(and 486SLC) as well, provided there is a socket. The 287XL is really a 387SX in 40pin DIP packaging. Though, I have been unable to get my Intel 287XL working with my 486SLC upgrade module, I am hoping things will be different with the Cyrix.

Also, there is no such thing as a 2x86 or 3x86. Somebody just made it up. Cyrix's first CPU was a 486DLC/SLC. They never made 286 or 386 chips.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I guess none of this matters anymore, because as it turns out my 287XL+ is a Chinese fake. I guess somebody was hoping to get rich selling these to CPU collectors or something, because a lot of people in the CPU-forums got screwed like I did. thankfully most of the sellers of these chips took them back. I exchanged mine for a second intel 387DX.
Unknown_K

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is it a fake non working (empty) chip, or did they just use a different chip and change the markings?
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It seems that they used a different chip, because installing it causes the system not to boot. About five different people tested it in their machines, and they all got the same result.
 Jump to: