Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Flash on an XT View next topic
View previous topic
IBM Portable PC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anonymous Coward wrote:
What I did not anticipate though is that the Acard is timing sensitive.

Yes, I've experienced the timing issue also and in-fact I ended up swapping out the SCSI controller and SCSI->IDE bridge for an Aculogic 8 bit IDE controller. The performance appears to be at least equal to SCSI and more importantly, the solution is a lot simpler without the SCSI->IDE bridge. The IDE controller limits me to a 512M HDD (CF Card) however on an XT this is not exactly a problem.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you use a drive overlay can you get around the 512mb limitation?

Are you also using a cable in between your acard and CF card slot? I hadn't noticed any timing issues when the two are directly connected, but I use the compact flash as a secondary drive for file transfer so it's possible that I haven't used it enough to notice any real problems.
IBM Portable PC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Anonymous Coward wrote:
If you use a drive overlay can you get around the 512mb limitation?

Are you also using a cable in between your acard and CF card slot?

A drive overlay may work, however I'm not sure I need more than 512MB at this point.

I was using a cable no more than 50mm between the SCSI-IDE bridge and the CD adaptor.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Were you able to get it to recognise the CF card at all (with the 5cm cable attached)? More importantly, did you crimp your cable correctly to make sure the pins are going where they are supposed to go? Using the standard IDE cable as an extension cable in this particular arrangement does not work as the top and bottom rows of pins get flipped.
IBM Portable PC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Anonymous Coward wrote:
Were you able to get it to recognise the CF card at all (with the 5cm cable attached)? More importantly, did you crimp your cable correctly to make sure the pins are going where they are supposed to go? Using the standard IDE cable as an extension cable in this particular arrangement does not work as the top and bottom rows of pins get flipped.

I had my CF card working with SCSI for months, however for whatever reason my Central Point Software would not work with the SCSI card etc and I strongly suspect timing issues. Since changing to IDE I have had no problems at all.
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you test with a real SCSI HDD to see if perhaps that the software just doesn't like SCSI?

I'm pretty surprised that my system even works at all, considering all the ways I've cheated.
IBM Portable PC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Do a search for "powermonster" on EbAy. It's a SCSI to CF adaptor in a 2.5" drive form-factor. Very nice and ideal for XT's etc.

I have another SCSI to IDE adaptor for Addonics however, I really like the Powermonsters design and perhaps more importantly it is designed to work with CF cards.
IBM Portable PC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

See http://www.ssd.gb.com/products/SCSI-BridgeEmulators-to-CF/SCSI-1,2-50pin-DiskDriveEmulator-to-CF/index.php
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's nice to know that there is now a way to go directly from SCSI to compact flash. I might pick one of this up in the future if and when the price goes down.
 Jump to: