Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best color legacy portable printer? I need one! View next topic
View previous topic
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am looking at Buying a vintage (circa 95) HP Deskjet 340, however it appears this unit can't do good enough color photos to be of use but will do script just fine.

I plan on using the printer combined with my old compaq laptop (that will run off 12v) at craft shows outside under a tent to do photos and poetry.

here are my requirements

1. It must be able to be run off of DC 12,16 or 24volts (all available off my 200ah electric car batteries) (as you've guessed there are probably some printers that aren't portable that would also fit the bill, if I knew what models they were anyway)

2. It must be able to do GOOD enough color photos, main concern is banding, if it can do consistant color resolution without artifacts, resolution probably isn't that important but usually 300dpi isn't good enough even with enhancement though there are a few exceptions, my Color LJ5m is only 300dpi but does good photos in most cases but craps out on pastels. I would probably want at least 360x720 assuming it doesn't fudge up colors terrible and bleed.

3. It must have readily available supplies of good quality, be able to handle LETTER size cardstock and have relatively inexpensive supplies, if its $10 a color and does 10 photo copies that isn't acceptable, I have an old wax thermal ribbon type that really is that expensive Sad

4. It must have drivers available for windows 9x, 3.11 is OK but I prefer 9x drivers.

I would like to have 2 printers really one for color and one for black and white, hopefully the black and white would be cheaper to run if I do this, I wonder if there ever was a portable LED laser printer?

Thank You for any recomendations.
Ryan
 Jump to: