Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IBM 5160 Help View next topic
View previous topic
frozenfire75i

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello, I Just Got An IBM 5160 Off Of Ebay And I Got It Unpacked And Here Is What It Is Giveing Me

Error System Uint 102
Error System Uint 601
Error System Uint 1704
Erroe System Uint 1701

parity check
9000 00 201

What Is All That Mean It's A 640 K Mobo All The Banks Are Filled 1986 5160 ST 225 HDD Half Hight Floppy Full Sized HDD Cont. Smaller Floppy Cont. I Can Get More Info On Parts If Needed

PLZ Help I Am Fearing Bad MOBO!
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think your board is okay. It's pretty hard to kill an XT motherboard. Take a look at this error code table:

http://www.uncreativelabs.net/textfiles/system/DIAGCODE.DOC

The first four errors are related to the floppy drive or controller.

You might also have a bad RAM chip causing that parity error.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Open the case up (consult the XT Review on this site: http://www.uncreativelabs.net/xtreview/xtreview.htm ) and look for anything that may have become dislodged with shipping or time.

First thing to do is make sure all the cables are installed correctly and fully. Give them a push, don't just eyeball them. If any move, you can try booting again.

You may need to remove and reinsert your controller boards (put them back in the same slot, some devices are sensitive to this).

Also, take a good look at your memory. It's possible your memory has become dislodged. Try gently pressing down on each chip and see if any move. While you're doing that, also look closely at each pin on the MB and make sure it's properly resting in the socket.

Check the jumpers also. They're described in the XT Review.

(Btw, 17xx errors are related to the hard disk, not the floppy controller.)

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First off follow what Puckdropper said, check cabling and the seating off all cards and memory.

What I usually do, Remove everything but the video card, and see what set of errors you get.

I can tell you parity errors can many times be fixed just by setting the dipp switches on the motherboard for a less ram. (a kludge but it works)

Last time I got an 5150 PC that gave a parity error that had 640k of ram I had to reduce the amount of ram on the jumpers by 64kb, even when I installed all new ram and new cards I had to leave the jumpers set for a max of 576kb or I always got a parity error, never could figure it out, though I still have that machine up and running 8 years later.

Hard disk errors are easiet to sort out if you simply disconnect the hard drive data cables and see if the unit still gives trouble. If the system will boot off the floppy, shut down and hookup the harddrive, let the system and hard drive run for about an hour just sitting there. Try to reboot with a boot floppy in the drive (ctrl+alt+del) Sometimes the error goes away if the drive is tired and you can then boot and run a drive parking utility from the floppy and get the system running without data errors. If it still won't work you probably have drive stiction or a bad HD.

Floppy errors many times have nothing to do with the controller but can be related to the jumpers set incorrectly AKA 2 floppies when you have one. And of coarse cabling or even a bad floppy.

Good Luck
 Jump to: