Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SRAM Adapters for my 486 View next topic
View previous topic
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My EISA 486 currently has 128mb of memory installed, but only 256kb cache. Without additional cache RAM, the extra 64mb of memory is much slower than the first 64mb. My board supports up to 1MB of SRAM in 128k x 8 DIP32 modules. However, finding these SRAMs are next to impossible these days. I've been searching for 4 years and I haven't found a single one.

So instead I am considering building some adapters for some cheap 512k x 8 SRAMs to fit into the DIP socket. The only question is: How to make it fit. I am likely going to use TSOP or SOJ memory, which means that it will probably be mounted sideways on a PCB. But, the big problem is finding a plug that will fit into a DIP socket. DIPs usually have flat legs, but many plugs I see are square or round. This kind of plug usually doesn't fit well and could possibly break the socket. Can anyone recommend a connector or part number to me?
T-R-A

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You might find something here:

http://www.accutekmicro.com/
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm. It's a good idea, but they don't have any 300 or 400mil DIP adapters. I've seen companies that make them, but they usually charge quite a lot for them. I'm going to build the adapters myself, so I just need the connectors.
T-R-A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Last "real job" had a bunch of stuff like that (even BGA to QFP stuff --- odd looking, believe me). Sad that it's probably sitting in a landfill somewhere now...
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

T-R-A wrote:
Last "real job" had a bunch of stuff like that (even BGA to QFP stuff --- odd looking, believe me). Sad that it's probably sitting in a landfill somewhere now...

I figured you would have pulled everything you could including the electric wire before leaving Smile
T-R-A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I'd pretty much cleaned up on older computer stuff. Figured I'd leave them with something... Razz
 Jump to: