Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best way to connect a winXP machine to a dos machine? View next topic
View previous topic
386er

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hey guys, my boss threw out a p4 mobo since the pci doesn't work, its mine now, it has onboard everything, except for video, wich i added a radeon HD 2400 agp. works ok.

heres what i have
my 386 (DOS) desktop and the new p4 (winXP) are hooked up to the router and are both on the internet with the same connection, i can use parallel with laplink in dos, but dont work with windows NTFS drives.
so whats the best way to share drives between the 2?
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They're already networked, so try using Lan Manager on the DOS machine. Hopefully it will understand TCP/IP (might need some help). If not, you can install the NetBEUI protocol on XP and use that instead. (NetBEUI has the nice property of not needing any special set up for use. Just install it and go.)

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
386er

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

well the 386 just has a packet driver, so i might have to add stuff to it, but i was hope to do it via parallel.
386er

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

oh yea, i have tcp/ip installed on both machines, just need to find them ip's
386er

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

will laplink work with windows xp?
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never used a parallel port with Windows XP, so I don't know if it will or won't work. XP (and other NT-based OSes) handle serial differently than their DOS-derived counterparts, so it doesn't always work. The only way to know for sure is to try it and see.

If you decide to go the Network route (it'll be faster), share a drive in XP and use ipconfig (just type ipconfig at a command prompt) to find that machine's IP address. Then on the dos machine you should be able to type "net use Z: \\IPADDRESS\sharename" (Where Z: is any drive letter.) (If you've got DNS enabled, you don't have to know the IP address. Just type the system's name in the IPADDRESS section. Such as \\blue\c in blue).

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
creepingnet

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To me it depends upon the machine....

All my DOS Boxen use Microsoft Network Client or Microsoft LAN Manager....however, the configuration depends upon the Processor

My 2 8088's, an IBM XT (well, technically it is), and my Tandy 1000 both use Intel EtherExpress or 3COM 16-bit LAN cards capable of working in 8-bit Mode. The Protocols used are NetBEUI and IPX/SPX, with the configuration given on this exact site done in XP, with encrypted passwords disabled to allow XP to talk to those machines.

My 286 uses TCP/IP to connect, and is quite a bit faster, but seriously lacking in RAM once it gets up. I only ever use LAN on the 286 to copy large programs and files to the 286 to run them in their naitive environment anyway. Anything later that is a primary DOS machine also uses TCP/IP, however I statically assign IP addresses to my DOS Machines, as DHCP has proven to be rather wonky in DOS.

As for internet and transferring files all over the world, I use a TCP/IP Packet Driver for my network card, usually loaded off a multiple-boot configuration, along with any other parts that might be needed to make my internet applications run. I use Minuet for web browsing, E-mail, and downloading on my 8088's, and Arachne on everything else (yep, even the 286 runs Arachne, at 800X600 @16-bit color still). The older the machine, the slower it is of course, but I have a nice fast modern machine build off of oldskool ideals to keep me occupied when I'm waiting for the ol' faithfuls to get done with something huge.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
386er

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

tcp/ip takes up to much mem, is there a way to connect using the LPT ports?
Anonymous101

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

386er wrote:
tcp/ip takes up to much mem, is there a way to connect using the LPT ports?
Hi, Are you sure that tcp/ip is out of the question memory wise? I know it's not an option on an 8088 based machine, but a 386, with a least a couple of meg, should be able to use it.
All I can suggest, is running through this guide, but selecting 'Full redirector' when asked, and adding the tcp/ip protocol. That should let you use the 'net use' command to connect to the XP pc.
386er

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hey guys, i dug out my old laptop and want to copy over 200-300mb to it, but it has no network card or expansion slot, and i realy dont wana take out the hard drive, so whats a good way for coping files via serial or lpt, nothing permenant or fast, just something that works...
wdegroot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

if you hasve a lapling cable ( serial or parallel) fine
but 2 9 pin connectors and a 3 wire cable will do
LAPLINK SERIAL CABLE
-----------------------
THIS IS A FOUR ENDED CABLE. EACH OF THE TWO ENDS HAS A DB9
FEMALE AND A DB 25 FEMALE CONNECTOR.(SERIAL PORTS ON
COMPUTERS AR EITHER DB-9 MALE OR DB-25 MALE. THIS WAY THE
CABLE CAN BE USED TO CONNECT TO EITHER AT'S OR XT OR TO
CONNECT BETWEEN. THIS IS THE INFORMATION OBTAINED WHEN USING
A VOLT-OHM-METER TO "BUZZ OUT" THE ORIGINAL CABLE.
-----------------
DB9 FEMALE \ 5 4 3 2 1 /
\ 9 8 8 6 / MATING SIDES OF CONNECTORS
--------------
DB25 FEMALE ---------------------------------------
\13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1/
\ 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14/
-----------------------------------------------

DB9----¿ "A" "B" Ú-----DB9
----------------------------´
³ CONSTRUCTION OF CABLE ³
DB25---Ù ABOUT TEN FEET LONG ------DB25

OBVIOUSLY IF YOU DONT NEED BOTH ENDS DON'T MAKE THEM
DB9 "A" DB9 "B" DB25 "A" DB25 "B"
2 3 3 2
3 2 2 3
4 6 20 6
5 5 7 7
6 4 6 20
7 8 4 5
8 7 5 4

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM THE LAPLINK DOCUMENTAT ION
===============================================
If you are going to have a cable custom built, use the following
pin-out requirements to build a 3-wire serial cable. It can be built
either with both a 9 and a 25 pin connector on each end, or just one
connector at each end. Four possible combinations are shown below.
Note that you may have to start LapLink III with the 3-wire command
line switch with a 3-wire cable. If LapLink III does not connect when
running on both computers, exit the program on both computers and
re-start LapLink on both by typing on the command line: LL3 /3

DB9F and DB25F to DB25F and DB9F
2 ÄÄÄÄÄÄ 3 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 2 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 3
3 ÄÄÄÄÄÄ 2 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 3 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 2
5 ÄÄÄÄÄÄ 7 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 7 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 5

DB25F to DB25F FROM DVORAK'S
2 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 3 NULL MODEM CABLE
3 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 2 DB-9 TO DB-25
7 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 7
ÚÄ1ÄÄÄÄÄÄN.C.
DB9F to DB25F ³ 2ÄÄÄÄÄÄ2
2 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 2 ³ 3ÄÄÄÄÄÄ3
3 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 3 ³ 4ÄÄÄÄÄÄ6,8
5 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 7 ³ 5ÄÄÄÄÄÄ7
ÀÄ6ÄÄÄÄÄÄ20
DB9F to DB9F 7ÄÄÄÄÄÄ5
2 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 3 8ÄÄÄÄÄÄ4
3 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 2 9ÄÄÄÄÄÄNC
5 ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ 5
wdegroot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

do you want this sent via email and not scrabbled
bear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TotalCommander has
Quote:
Parallel port transfer function (direct cable connection), works between Win95/98/NT/2000/3.1 and DOS!

which would be the easiest way I believe.

From TCs help section

Quote:
PORT connection to other PC through the parallel port

The PORT connection through the parallel port allows to transfer data between two computers in the same room over a special parallel cable. This cable can be found in most computer shops under the name "Interlink/Laplink parallel cable" or "parallel cable for direct cable connection". It allows a transfer rate of about 50kB/sec. The function therefore cannot be used as a network, but is meant to synchronize data between two machines (e.g. a desktop and a notebook). You need a pair of network cards for a permanent connection.

Important safety instructions - please read:

1. You need a special cable for the parallel port cable connection! This cable has crossed data lines! Normal parallel extension cables may damage the parallel port(s) if you connect them to your computers! You need a 4 bit (not 8 bit cable). See below for the connections.
2. Only connect the computers when they are turned off! Contrary to USB, the parallel port is not suited for hot-plugging!
3. There is always a danger of the destruction of the port by static electricity. Therefore please touch the PC case before connecting the cable. Avoid rubber soles on a carpet floor.

4. Only connect two parallel ports, not a parallel with a serial! The parallel port on the PC has 25 holes (not pins). The cable must have two plugs with 25 pins each.
5. You should not use the parallel port connection with other devices on the same line, like a dongle, ZIP drive (TM) or an external harddisk. Total Commander blocks all port access for the whole duration of the connection!

Starting the parallel port connection

1. Turn off both machines, connect them by parallel cable, and turn them back on.
2. Start Total Commander on both machines. You only need 1 licence if you are the only user.
3. On both machines, select 'Net' - 'PORT connection to other PC'.
4. One machine will act as a server, and one as a client. You will be working on the client, while Total Commander cannot be used on the server during the connection. Therefore select 'Server' on one machine, and 'Client' on the other.

5. If your computer has multiple parallel ports, Total Commander will ask for the port which you want to use. Choose the port to which the parallel cable is connected.
6. The connection is now established. It works similar to an FTP connection, i.e. you can now upload, download, delete, rename, view, and edit files, but not execute programs. Furthermore, you can use 'synchronize dirs'.
7. Close the connection on the client (Disconnect) and server (Abort).

You can also start a port connection using a command in the button bar, start menu, or Ctrl+D menu (client only):

The command would be
cd port://lpt1/c:/subdir1/subdir2

Important: Subdirectories must be separated by forward slashes "/"! The reason is that Total Commander internally uses the FTP functions for the connection.

If you want to transfer data from a Windows machine to a machine without Windows (only plain DOS), e.g. to copy a system, you can use the standalone server for DOS. You can find it on our homepage, www.ghisler.com, on the 'addons' page. Although this server runs on Windows 95/98 and Windows 3.1 in a DOS box, you shouldn't use it there because it accesses the port without any protection from other programs. Furthermore, it's slower and doesn't support long file names.
NTEPB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay 386er. Let me throw in my 2 cents worth, since I've been messing around with this old-school networking stuff lately...

Are you only wanting to copy files from your older machines to your XP machine? If so, Total Commander looks like a pretty good deal (thanks for the info, bear; I'll have to test TC sometime). Smile

Or, more specifically, are you wanting to run programs on your older machines using the XP machine as a file server? If so, I don't think Total Commander will work for you. If you read bear's post from TC's help section, you'll notice the lines:

Quote:
"The function therefore cannot be used as a network, but is meant to synchronize data between two machines (e.g. a desktop and a notebook)."

and

Quote:
"6. The connection is now established. It works similar to an FTP connection, i.e. you can now upload, download, delete, rename, view, and edit files, but not execute programs. Furthermore, you can use 'synchronize dirs'. "

As you found out already, Laplink and Interlnk have "issues" with NTFS (and sometimes FAT32) drives.

But if you were to run, say, Virtual PC on the XP machine, you could create a virtual machine with just a basic copy of DOS 6 or newer, use INTERLNK/INTERSVR along with a parallel data transfer cable and connect the machines that way. I've used this technique before to copy files from my P3 laptop (running INTERSVR inside Virtual PC on Windows XP) to my IBM 5160 PC-XT machine (running INTERLNK on PC-DOS 2000). Be warned, though, that running INTERSVR inside Virtual PC on the XP machine will suck up lots of CPU resources!

I agree with most of the people here that it would be a LOT easier running MS Network Client or LAN Manager in DOS. For those machines with "limited expansion capability", you could use a parallel port Ethernet adapter to connect to a network. I've done this on just about all my old machines, including my 8088-based PCjrs. The best part is that it only requires a bidirectional parallel port. So yes, it's possible (and fairly easy) to network the old machines...even in DOS or older versions of Windows.

Hope all of this helps!

Jon
NTEPB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Duh! Why didn't I think of this before? Embarassed

If you only want to copy files from your XP machine to your old laptop, how about an old Iomega LPT ZIP100 drive? If you have the LPT version, it should work in DOS as well as Windows (crossing fingers that the drive and cartridges still work).

Just a dumb thought.

Jon
 Jump to: