Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FS/gratis: Vintage IBM and other assorted PC stuff View next topic
View previous topic
Andrew T.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last popped in here. Unfortunately, over the last few years I've largely lost interest in tinkering with older computers. Sad

Most of my equipment has been gathering dust for five or more years now. I plan on moving to Wisconsin by July 18th, and I won't be having the space nor the inclination to take surplus hardware with me. As such, I believe it's time for me to "clean house."

I have:
* a genuine IBM PC AT (with 84-key keyboard, although I haven't had the computer itself running in seven years);
* a complete IBM PS/1 386SX system;
* Nine vintage hardbound IBM manuals (DOS 2.1, 3.2, 3.3, PC and XT guides to operations, BASIC 3.0); most if not all of which contain disks (although I haven't tested them in nearly a decade);
* A presumably-broken IBM Proprinter X24;
* Five generic 486DX4-100 desktop boxes in various states of disassembly;
* A partially-parted Gateway 2000 4DX2-66 mini desktop; plus cow-spotted boxes and monitor;
* A broken Umax SCSI scanner;
* A few extra parts like cables, drives, and cards.

If there's anyone living relatively close to southern West Virginia who wouldn't mind picking it up in person, I'm willing to let you have it for free.

Computers tend to be heavy, bulky, and fragile to the point where I'd prefer not to ship them if I don't have to, but if someone else is interested, I could see if I could work something out.

I'd love for the IBM stuff (at least) to find a good home...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hopefully somebody is close by and can snag all that from you.

If not (and you don't mind shipping media mail to OH) I could take the IBM software off your hands.
T-R-A

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm, 160 miles away (per Google Maps). What's the drop-dead date (when you have to be rid of it)? Would it all fit in a Saturn or a Toyota Tacoma pickup? How difficult to find Athens from say Wytheville, VA?
Andrew T.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your interest, guys!

T-R-A,

Although it would be most convenient to get rid of the stuff before I leave (which will be sometime between July 13 and 18 ), I could make an arrangement to have it picked up for at least a few months after that; although I won't be the one in the house then.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the lot would fit in a Saturn if the rear seatback folded down, although it might be a tight pinch; especially if the two cardboard boxes were included. (On second thought, I might want to save those for my own moving storage...)

Athens, West Virginia isn't difficult to get to: It's just a matter of taking I-77 north from Wytheville, getting off at exit 14, and making two to four turns from there. There aren't any tolls in that stretch, either...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm thinking of leaving from work (Gray, TN) on a Friday (right now, July 11 looks most favorable). That would cut the mileage down to 140 (via I-81 to I-77) to there, but would still be 160 back to home. I was curious about the volume since the Saturn averages 43 mpg and the Tacoma only 26 mpg (and w/gas @ $4.00/gal, that's about $20 less gas to buy...). Plus, the pickup doesn't have a camper top, and I'd prefer the stuff not to get wet in case it's rainy. I'm not sure whether it would be morning or evening (there's talk of starting a 2nd shift where I work, so I may be going to 2nd -- thus having to make an early-day trip; if not then I'd leave after work around 4:30 p.m.). If none of that is a problem with you (dates or times), then you've just lightened your moving load. E-mail me a phone # so I can contact you before I leave and hone-out the specifics (Google Maps does show a "partial toll road" on that route, so I'd like to avoid that if possible)...
Klimax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello,
has the deal been finished?If for whateber reason not,I would like to have anythiong left.One problem is,it will have to be shipped to Czech Republic and I do not know how much that would cost.(If good,I will PM you my address and we would discuss how I will pay for shipping(or anything plus,like handling Smile ).

Thank you.
T-R-A

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry, but I picked up the stuff from Andrew weeks ago. A good bundle of stuff too. Got a couple of the 486/100's running Damn Small Linux pretty well and the Gateway (now with a POD83) is the "new" DOS/WfWG3.11 machine in the shop (always handy to have a DOS-gamer for coffee breaks!). Also experimenting with some of the other goodies... BTW Andrew, thanks again...!!!
Klimax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

T-R-A wrote:
Sorry, but I picked up the stuff from Andrew weeks ago. A good bundle of stuff too. Got a couple of the 486/100's running Damn Small Linux pretty well and the Gateway (now with a POD83) is the "new" DOS/WfWG3.11 machine in the shop (always handy to have a DOS-gamer for coffee breaks!). Also experimenting with some of the other goodies... BTW Andrew, thanks again...!!!

I thought so,but no ending-post so i wondered.OK,time to go hunting again.
(I have couple of oldies as well and usually fully working inlcuding 1987 graphic card Smile ,but nothing else from that era)
 Jump to: