Return to Uncreativelabs.net front page Uncreative Labs
PC XT and AT forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

301 Keyboard Error View next topic
View previous topic
Howard81

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A problem has occured with my "new" XT Crying or Very sad

It turns on OK, and memory counts... but with "301" displayed, which is the keyboard error message.

640 KB OK
ERROR. (RESUME = "F1" KEY)

Of course, I can't press F1 to continue, the keyboard is unresponsive.

As it is one of the last XT's made, it has the AT style 102-key keyboard without the LED's of the Model-M's. I've plugged it in to my 486, and the keyboard works perfectly... Confused

Any idea what is wrong? I've only had it a week, and it's been working fine up to now...
bear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have that on an XT but Iknow why and it still boots
and they KBRD does work but that particular one is suposed to have a 120 key KBRD so that is why I get the error message.
Howard81

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Up until now, the XT has been booting fine with the 102-key keyboard. It's an original IBM one that came with the computer when new (like a Model M but without LED's).

Only today it started booting with the 301 error and the keyboard is unresponsive. But it works on my 486 without problem???
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How exactly were you using a keyboard for an AT on an XT?

If the keyboard works on your 486 it should NEVER work on an XT unless it has a jumper AT/XT on the back or is one of the few strange off brand "switching" keyboards. Did you change the jumper on the back from XT to AT for it to work on your 486?

Honestly, I never knew that IBM itself made a switching keyboard, let alone one that auto-sensed which mode it should be in!

You will have to verify that the keyboard is in XT mode by checking the jumper on the back or inside the keyboard stand to make sure it is set correctly. If it has no AT/XT jumper it is either one or the other and either will be for 286 and higher or for XT systems and CANNOT work on both, no way around it.

Cheers
Ryan
Howard81

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is the original keyboard for my XT! The person I had the computer from used it from new and can confirm this!

It is a very late XT that was bought new in September 1986. So it comes with 640k mainboard, 20MB hard drive, slimline 5.25" 360kB floppy drive and 102-key keyboard (UK layout).

The keyboard is the same as Model M but without the LED display and it worked fine on my XT with no problems. One day it gets the "xx 301" error, which can disappear next time. Now, just the 301 error and I can't use any keys.

I tried the keyboard on my 486, and it works!

I think this keyboard can automatically tell if it is AT or XT! I heard, early Model M keyboards can also do this. The keyboard has the date June 1986 on the back.

There is absolutely no AT-XT switch anywhere on the keyboard.

wdegroot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i was going to offer several suggestions , bit all has been answered
many early AT keyboards ( not real ibm)
did switch
either there was a switch visible onb the backj, ot hidden in the " leg"\of the kb
oit no switch at all, ( autoswitch)
try a few older kb and see if one works

could be yours had really died.
Puckdropper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It could also be something on the MB has gone bad like a solder trace. You could try removing the MB and see if it works then, and resolder the keyboard connections.

>score
Your score is 202 (total of 350 points), in 866 moves.
This gives you the rank of Adventurer.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
garf12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is probably no help at all but today I was testing my inventory of AST I/OPlusII clock cards to make sure they were good. Each time I swapped a card and then booted up I got a "301" error message.

I shut it down and re-booted and it was fine but I have 3 clock cards and the same thing happened with each one.

As I said this will probably be of no help to you at all but I figured I'd post it anyway.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's interesting! Unfortuantely my XT gives the same problem when only the CGA card is installed. I have an 83-key keyboard on it's way to me, so I'll try again when that comes Smile

Regarding your AST clock card, I also have one (AST I/O Mini II), I don't suppose you could copy your drivers for me? I can't seem to get it to work.
garf12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's weird. The one difference I didn't notice when I first responded is that I don't get the "hit F1 to resume". I only get the 301 error message.

Anyway I don't know if my drivers have been modified. They're part of a security software program that monitors alarm panels in a building. However I did find a link that could be helpful
"http://www.ari-service.com/ftp/EPG/"
they have AST clock card drivers and a whole lot more.

I also started using an AT keyboard about 2 months ago. It came from a newer version of the same system that monitors alarm panels. It's KeyTronic Model # E06101D-C. I tried a couple of AT boards that were "supposed" to work but this is the only one that does, EXCEPT for the escape key. If there's other keys that don't work I haven't found them- or needed them-- so far Smile

Good Luck

Jump to: